Temperate Rainforest Action in Halifax

From: "S.Wilson" <fmoola@sprint.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:12:38 -0300

Hello friends,

The week surrounding October 26th is World Rainforest Week and is one of the
best times of year to focus on the issue of rainforest destruction
world-wide.  The 26th has been chosen as an international day
of action for the world's forests and activities will be taking place in
communities across North America.   As you may be aware, due to pressure
from activists throughout north america Home Depot has given their intention
to phase-out the sale of old growth timber in their stores . Nevertheless,
many of us are skeptical of this statement as Home Depot has made this
promise before. Old growth timber from Indonesia, and the Pacific Northwest
(Great Bear Forest) is still on the shelves today in Home Depot stores
Although Home Depot isn't in Halifax, they soon will be+ACEAIQ- Two stores will be
opening shortly and we will be there to crash their opening party+ACE-  In the
meantime, we would like to organize a public information picket in Halifax
on the 26th to support the actions of our brothers and sisters elsewhere.
In addition, we need to research whether KENT is selling old growth wood and
if they are, picket them as well.  I would like to call a public meeting to
organize a campaign around  these events. I have been away from the city for
the past summer conducting research in the remaining old growth stands in
Nova Scotia. I would love to meet those of you from the Sierra Club, CPAWS,
NSEN, NSPIRG, EAC and others who might be interested in a Temperate
Rainforest campaign.

If you are, please email asap. In the meantime I will try to find a place
and time when we can meet. Perhaps at the next NSPIRG eco-action/sierra
youth meeting.

Yours in Solidarity

Faisal Moola
Ancient Forest Research