Help save Nova Scotia's distinct voice on CBC-TV

From: "CMG Halifax" <savecbcns@hotmail.com>
To: sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 14:34:57 ADT

The Halifax local of the Canadian Media Guild is trying to mobilize public
support for the locally-produced television news shows 1st Edition and The
Maritimes Tonight.

As you may have heard, the President of the Canadian Broadcasting
Corporation wants to cut 14 local supper-hour news programs across Canada,
and concentrate CBC-TV's resources in Toronto where he's planning to revamp
national programming.

1st Edition is to be replaced by a news program in Toronto which will
contain local stories or inserts --- that means producers in Toronto will
decide what news is worth covering here, and regular in-depth items will be
history.  Under this plan, the Maritimes Tonight would likely disappear
altogether.

We believe this would fatally undermine CBC-TV in every region of Canada,
and severely impair the ability of people in this province to talk about
issues that are important to us.

Protests from Atlantic Canada are beginning to have an effect.  The CBC
Board of Directors has delayed its upcoming meetings until May 25 & 26.  But
the President of the CBC has consistently talked about cutting these shows
since he was appointed, and we believe it will take much more protesting to
prevent the cuts.  We have three weeks to act.

People who'd like to know more about our campaign can visit our website ...
http://www.savecbcns.org

Thanks,
CMG Halifax
(which represents journalists who work for the CBC)

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net   	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group		http://www.sierraclub.ca
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

PLEASE SEND MESSAGES TO SUST-MAR IN PLAIN TEXT ONLY
MESSAGES CONTAINING HTML (MIME) CANNOT BE POSTED