sierra club outing notice

From: "Roger Davies" <daisies@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:05:46 -0300

SIERRA CLUB CHEBUCTO GROUP is planning its SECOND OUTING OF THE SEASON, to
MC NABS ISLAND, June 4, during ENVIRONMENT WEEK, joining with Friends of
McNabs Island Society for the 18th annual Beach Sweep.  Scott Yetman who so
ably led our first outing to Hemlock Ravine on Earth Day will again be our
guide, to show us some of the unique features, plants, animals, and the
interplay of human habitation, of this island treasure in our midst.  Most
of McNabs island is a Nova Scotia provincial park reserve --province still
deciding what to do with it.  This decision-making process is likely to
become active this fall, so a visit now, in order to become better
informed, is very timely.

We will be participating in the Beach Sweep, the clean-up of trash and
debris, as we tour with Scott.  Garbage bags are provided for us to fill
and then leave to be collected, but we bring our own work gloves.  The
Sierra Club has a long tradition of Service-Outings, outings that combine
some sort of work along with education, fun, and time together in the
environment, this one to McNabs Island, the first service outing for
Chebucto Group.  We hope you can join in.

WHEN:  Saturday, June 4 (rain date June 11).  By 9:30 am to pick up
reserved ferry ticket for 10 a.m. departure.  Return 4:30 p.m.
WHERE:  Murphy's on the Water at Cable Wharf, Halifax.
COST:  No cost to participate in Beach Sweep --ferry transportation
provided.
WHAT TO BRING:  Lunch and snacks, drinking water, work gloves, adequate
clothing for changeable weather.
LEADER FOR THIS OUTING:  Helen Lofgren, 477-4022, call
or e-mail Helen Lofgren <as112@chebucto.ns.ca>, for information and to make
your ferry reservation.
GUIDE FOR THIS OUTING:  Scott Yetman who is very familiar with and
knowledgeable about the treasure that is McNabs Island, and a very
enthusiastic guide!

Hope you can join us!

Below is the Friends of McNabs Island invitation to join the Beach Sweep

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

                 Friends of McNabs Island Society
                   Preserve our Harbour Islands

                       Spring Beach Sweep
                               of
                    McNabs and Lawlor Islands
                       Sunday, June 4, 2000
                       (rain date June 11)
                             10 a.m.

    depart for McNabs Island from Murphy's on the Water,
     Cable Wharf in Halifax
     Return from the island at 4:30 p.m.

    transportation to McNabs is FREE for all beach sweep volunteers
     Capacity on the boat is limited to 190 people, First Come First-Served

    Bring work gloves, lunch and drinking water
     We will supply the garbage bags

 For information call:
     Catherine McCarthy (434-2254) or Victor Dingle (463-4761)
     E-mail: cathymc@accesscable.net
     Website:http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/FOMIS/

     This is the 18th  Beach Sweep of McNabs Island organized by the Friends
of
     McNabs. Approximately 6000 bags of trash have been collected from
McNabs and
     Lawlor Islands since 1991. This community event is co-sponsored by
Clean Nova
     Scotia Foundation, Parks Canada, Nova Scotia Dept. of Natural
Resources, and
     Murphy's on the Water.

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net   	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group		http://www.sierraclub.ca
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

PLEASE SEND MESSAGES TO SUST-MAR IN PLAIN TEXT ONLY
MESSAGES CONTAINING HTML (MIME) CANNOT BE POSTED