Straw Bale Workshop

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: nappanproject@ns.sympatico.ca (Jason Blanch)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:58:44 -0300

The Nappan Project,
The Atlantic Centre of Appropriate Technology and Permaculture Design
RR#6
Amherst, Nova Scotia
B4H 3Y4
(902) 661-0037
nappanproject@ns.sympatico.ca

The Nappan Project, situated on 100 acres of mixed forest land 7 km outside
of Amherst Nova Scotia is a Not for  Profit organisation dedicated to
experimentation and promotion of  appropriate technology and global climate
change education.
        The Nappan Project is holding a three day straw Bale Workshop
October 13,14 and 15.  This workshop is designed as an introduction to
Straw Bale construction, and the Nappan Project.  The focus of this
workshop is to give a wide variety of people an affordable, hands on
opportunity to explore the fun and environmentally sustainable techniques
of Straw Bale Construction.
        The $40 workshop includes camping,  and a membership to the Nappan
Project as well as the opportunity to participate in the building of a
Straw Chicken Coop\Green House.  This is a design featured by Bill Mollison
in his Introduction to Permaculture Design.
        This workshop offers the experience of building and experimenting
with Straw Bale.  Although we have experience in Straw Construction we are
not experts and do not claim to be giving the last word on Straw
Construction.  Expert workshops of this nature are priced over $200 and
teach more refined techniques   In this process we are experimenting in the
spirit of Permaculture and Appropriate technology, trying to get as many
materials as possible on site.  An example of this is that we will be
finishing the wall with a cob parging which we will be mixing from the soil
on site.

Agenda:

Friday Night: Arrival of participants,  Introduction to Nappan Project and
the site and project, Straw construction tools, pot Luck dinner and Video
presentation of Straw Building Projects.
Saturday:  Wall raising and building of Roof Plate
Sunday:  Wall Compaction, roof Placement and  community mud party, parging
the straw with the first layer of cob.

For more information call Peggy or Jason @ (902)-661-0037
Or E-mail,
nappanproject@ns.sympatico.ca
There are only 15 spots available, hope to see you there.

Jason Blanch
Nappan Project
RR#6 Amherst NS
B4H 3Y4
(902) 661-0037

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

DOES SUST-MAR KNOW? Not unless you tell us ...

To submit a message about the environment/sustainability in the Maritimes,
just send it to <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Messages are prioritised and queued, so please be patient if your message
doesn't appear right away.