Cinema PIRG returns!

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:18:33 -0400
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: nspirg@is2.dal.ca (NS PIRG)

>Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:44:09 -0400
>To: dcaulfield@ns.sympatico.ca
>From: dcaulfield@ns.sympatico.ca (Dave Caulfield)
>Subject: Cinema PIRG returns!
>
>Happy to say that cinema PIRG's third season starts Tuesday Night.
>
>Kicking things off this year is ROCKS AT WHISKEY TRENCH, the brand spanking
>new installment in Alanis Obomsawin's series on Canada, the Mohawks, and
>the Oka Crisis in 1990.
>
>It was one of the saddest incidents in recent Canadian history. On August
>28, 1990, a convoy of 75 cars left the Mohawk community of Kahnawake and
>filed across Montreal's Mercier Bridge - straight into a horrifying mob
>that pelted the vehicles with rocks. The targets of this violence were
>Mohawk women, children and elders leaving Kahnawake in fear of a possible
>advance by the Canadian army.
>
>For the past six weeks, tensions had been mounting. Now, the army was about
>to move in. A deal was worked out to let families cross the blockaded
>bridge. But police held them up for over two hours, until a sizeable mob
>had gathered by the bridge's Lasalle exit, known locally as Whiskey Trench.
>The cars were then waved through - but they first had to run a gauntlet of
>rock-throwers. Scores were injured. One man died of a heart attack the next
>day.
>
>In ROCKS AT WHISKEY TRENCH, Mohawks young and old remember the terror as
>windows shattered around them. Police had orders not to arrest anyone - and
>though they stood by during the rock-throwing, they were able to prevent
>the mob from reaching the cars and attacking their occupants.
>
>Then, in mid-September, the military landed a force of 140 men on
>Tekakwitha Island, linked by bridge to the community of Kahnawake. Amid
>rumours that the army was planning to take the town, scores of Mohawk men
>and women rushed to the island. In one of the tensest moments of that long,
>hot summer, a melee broke out between Mohawk civilians and soldiers. One
>woman recalls being thrown from the bridge by two soldiers. Her hip
>fractured, she floundered in the water, in fear of drowning.
>
>The film airs, as usual, in the McMechan Auditorium of the Killam Library
>at 8 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2000. At this point, no discussion is planned
>for after the film.
>
>Got questions? Don't hesitate to email me. Otherwise, see you Tuesday night.
>
>Dave Caulfield.

nspirg
nova scotia public interest research group
6136 university ave
halifax, ns
b3h 4j2
902-494-6662
nspirg@is2.dal.ca
executive director : linda pannozzo

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

TELL A FRIEND! The more people who join sust-mar, the more interesting and
diverse views we'll see ... and more people to read *your* messages.

So ... pssssst! Pass it on ...

To join sust-mar just send email to <majordomo@chebucto.ns.ca>
As the text of your message type "subscribe sust-mar" (without the quotes)