Bike Lanes and other info

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:33:16 -0400
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Alan Jean-Joyce <office@whatasite.com>

Thank you for the note on clearing our bike lane Paul. I just picked
up my tuned-up bike on Saturday and I must say that it was fun riding
home in the blowing snow  - and under cloudy skies... and in the
freezing rain...and under cloudy skies...and in the snow again :)

Speaking of Copenhagen, see below:

>>Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 18:31:26 -0500
>>From: "Moving The Economy" <mte@city.toronto.on.ca>
>>Subject: Moving the Economy Bulletin Vol. 1. No. 2., March 2001
>>
>>Welcome to the second issue of the Moving The Economy (MTE)
>>Bulletin! MTE promotes and develops economic opportunities and
>>innovations in sustainable transportation. Our mission is to grow
>>the sustainable transportation sector in the Toronto region and
>>beyond.
>>
>>Read on for the latest best practices and MTE projects and be sure
>>to check the bottom of the bulletin for upcoming MTE events.
>>
>>You can also access this bulletin on-line by going directly to our
>>website at: www.city.toronto.on.ca/mte

[. . .]

>>I. MTE ON-LINE: GATHERING AND SHARING SECRETS OF SUCCESS
>>
>  >+ March's Feature Case Study: Copenhagen's Free City-Bike Program
>>
>>Copenhagen is not among the most polluted cities of the world,
>>mainly because traffic planners have already been able to solve many
>>of the traffic problems, and also because 34% of Copenhagen's
>>workers cycle to work, creating obvious benefits for the environment.
>>
>>In 1995, the Free City-Bike Program was implemented by the City of
>>Copenhagen. One thousand specially designed free City-Bikes were
>>stationed at 120 stands around the City at train and subway
>  >stations, parking lots and large housing blocks. The bikes were also
>  >stationed around common final destinations, such as office
>  >buildings, shopping districts, parks and other tourist attractions.
>>For a deposit of only 20 Dkr. (CAN$5), anyone can take a bike and
>>cycle wherever they want, within downtown (restricted area). When
>>the bike is returned to any bike stand within the area, the user
>>gets their deposit back.
>>
>>With the cooperation of sponsors, the project went so well that 500
>>more bikes were added when Copenhagen was named the "European
>>Culture City" in 1996. The number of bikes increased by 300 in 1997
>>and 300 in 1998 for a total of more than 2,000 bikes.
>>
>>ECONOMIC BENEFIT. The economic benefit has been an estimated $5
>>million tourism value from promoting Copenhagen as an
>>environmentally safe, cyclist city (38% of the users are tourists).
>>The program has also resulted in 31% fewer bike thefts (an estimated
>>$2.5 million savings to the insurance industry).
>>
>>To access this and other case studies in our database please go to
>>the web version of the bulletin at:
>>www.city.toronto.on.ca/mte/bulletin
>>
>>To learn more about this you may also go directly to: http://www.cios.com/
>>
>>Toronto is launching its own bikeshare program in April.
>>
>>For an annual membership fee of only $25.00, members will be able to
>>visit any of five participating hubs of the bikeshare program
>>(expected to expand to 10 by the end of 2001), and sign out a bike
>  >for one business day. The bikes can be returned to any participating
>>hub.
>>
>>For more info, phone (416) 504-2918 or visit the Bikeshare Program
>>website at: http://www.bikeshare.org
>>
>>Other recent additions to MTE On-Line:
>>
>>Talerbus - A Green Transport Alternative for Alpine Areas
>>
>>Feature Link
>>Our feature link this month is Resource Conservation Manitoba. RCM
>>promotes applied, ecological sustainability, including Green
>>Commuting: http://www.resourceconservation.mb.ca/start.htm
>>
>>You can get more great links and case studies by connecting directly
>>to our on-line database:
>>http://w4.metrotor.on.ca/inter/mte/mte.nsf/$defaultview?OpenView&Count=5
>>
>>If you are looking for books and other resources on sustainable
>>transportation and urban ecology you can order them on-line from
>>Detour Publications: www.detourpublications.com.

[. . .]