GPInews #5 now available

From: "GPI Atlantic" <webmaster@gpiatlantic.org>
To: <webmaster@gpiatlantic.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:22:23 -0300

____________________________________

Welcome to GPI News #5: June, 2001
____________________________________

Dear Friend of  GPI,

What does progress really mean?

As a thoughtful person you may have some serious concerns about how we
measure progress. Even as our Gross Domestic Product (GDP) continues to
rise, other factors we truly value-our environment, quality of life, and
the heritage we want to leave our children-are all under threat. We
sense that we may be depleting our natural and social capital and we are
not sure what to do about it.

GPI Atlantic is a non-profit research group that is developing a Genuine
Progress Index, consisting of 22 social, economic and environmental
components, as a more accurate, comprehensive, and humane measure of
wellbeing and sustainable development than we now have.

The GPI is a focus for a broad coalition of thinkers and doers who want
to introduce new ideas and measures of progress into our government and
communities. Check us out at  http://www.gpiatlantic.org .

We are inviting you to join with us in supporting an exciting adventure
that is gaining momentum.

Here's what membership brings you:

1) The GPI News electronically eight times a year.
2) A 25% discount on all GPI publications.
3) A hard copy of the new Canadian journal Reality Check: The Canadian
Review of Wellbeing four times a year, starting in the fall.
4) As a special introductory offer, a free electronic copy of the GPI
Ecological Footprint report (100 pages, usually $35 plus tax).
5) An invitation to our annual meeting and a planned fall workshop where
you can add your voice to our key policy decisions.

Most of the GPI research, data collection and analysis, and community
development work is provided on a voluntary basis. Your financial
support will enable our researchers to devote more time and effort to
their GPI work and to advance the work more effectively.

You can become a member of GPI Atlantic by sending your cheque ($95
individual and non-profit, $190 corporate and government, $45 student,
plus 15% HST) to GPI Atlantic at Box 489, RR#1, Tantallon, NS B0J 3J0,
and by clicking here:
http://www.gpiatlantic.org/membership.shtml
to fill out your membership application.

Thank for your support.

Ronald Colman, Ph.D,
Director, GPI Atlantic

As soon as we receive your membership cheque we'll send you the latest
issue of GPI News and we'll continue to keep you posted on latest
research results and activities.

Here's what you'll find in the current issue of GPI NEWS #5:

· Recent and Upcoming GPI Activities
· Newfoundland Government Uses GPI Voluntary Work Results
· Nova Scotia Farmers Can't Afford to Farm
· Down on the Farm Before It's Gone, by Ralph Surette
· Ecological Footprints, by Silver Donald Cameron
· Trimming our Footprint, by Silver Donald Cameron
· Special Bonus Offer for GPI Gift Subscriptions - Free Ecological
Footprint report
· Development of Environmental Indicators a Priority, says Federal
Finance Minister
· Full Text of Paul Martin's speech on need for environmental
indicators, May 25
· Paul Martin Comments on Reality Check
· Well Being Gets Reality Check, by David Swick
· Closing Note to Friends of GPI