linking environmentalism and peace

From: "Roger Davies" <daisies@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "pat kipping" <kipper@ns.sympatico.ca>, "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:34:30 -0400

Here's a wonderful example of a project linking environmental awareness and
human peace action!
         find out more at www.janegoodall.org

Best,
  Roger
Roots & Shoots

Global Peace Initiative

Roots & Shoots is excited to announce our new Global Peace Initiative. This
project addresses one of our three core themes - Care and Concern for the
Human Community - and one of our four primary goals - to enhance
understanding between individuals of different cultures, ethnic groups,
religions, socio-economic levels and nations. At Roots & Shoots, we
recognize that living in a world of diverse nations, communities and
cultures offers both a challenge and an opportunity. The challenge is to
overcome the barriers that separate us from others and hinder our ability to
work and live together. The opportunity is to increase understanding,
awareness, and tolerance of diverse lifestyles and customs. Through this
process, we can not only build stronger communities, but also improve the
environment for all living things.
Following the tragic events of September 11th, we believe that the Roots &
Shoots model of Knowledge, Compassion and Action can truly make a
difference. Together we can build a more compassionate world.
We invite you to begin the effort in your home community, by planning and
participating in an action project that promotes knowledge, understanding,
tolerance and compassion. If you are not a member of Roots & Shoots and
would like to participate, you can join right now by going to our Membership
Page.
Here are the details and a timeline for your group's participation:
December 17, 2001 - January 2002 - Review our online materials and the
resources provided by Tolerance.org and submit a project plan to the Roots &
Shoots National Office. We will post your project idea on our website and
continue to monitor your group's progress throughout the school year. Use
our Project Planning Worksheet to help organize your ideas.
February 1, 2002 -- Submit an Activity Report to our National Office,
containing the following:

A description of the project work to date with quotes from participants.
Visual record of the project (video, photos, slides, drawings, etc...).
A proposed method to communicate your project in a 15-30 second filmed
Public Service Announcement (through visuals of project work, music, drama,
or other creative performance).
In addition, please register your Roots & Shoots activity for Global Youth
Service Day. Please use "Roots & Shoots" in the title of your project.
February 14, 2002 - Roots & Shoots will award small grants to a select few
Global Peace Initiative Projects. To be considered for a grant, make sure
you submit all of the required Activity Reports by the date listed.
April 1, 2002 - Submit a second Activity Report on your project AND a 15- to
30-second PSA to post on our website and possibly on television! Guidelines
for the PSA will be sent to all participating groups in January.
April 26-28, 2002 - Celebrate your project and your accomplishments! Join
millions of youth around the world in celebrating Global Youth Service Day.
Keep checking back frequently to see submitted ideas and important
information.
All submissions and questions should go to:
Roots & Shoots
Jane Goodall Institute
P.O. Box 14890
Silver Spring MD 20911-4890
roots-shoots@janegoodall.org
Good luck with your projects! Feel free to contact us with any questions,
suggestions and comments that you might have.
Related links:
  Global Peace Initiative Activity Report
  Global Peace Initiative Project Worksheet
  History of Roots & Shoots
  Start a Roots & Shoots Group in your Community
  Roots & Shoots Benefits
  Roots & Shoots Partnerships
  Roots & Shoots Activities
  Become a Member!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

A word from our lawyers ...

Don't forget ... COPYRIGHT material, such as newspaper/magazine articles
cannot be posted on sust-mar without the owner's permission. It's against
the law. CROSS-POSTINGS (messages from other lists) are also discouraged.

In either case, why not tell us something about the issue in your own
words? Or ... send a clipping along with the URL where the original can be
found, or directions how to join the list it came from?

Takes a few more minutes, but makes for a more interesting sust-mar ... :)