URGENT: Peace, Earth & Justice Parade & Rally on Saturday, April 27

From: "CESR" <cesr@is2.dal.ca>
To: "Sust-Mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:32:22 -0300

COME AND CELEBRATE PEACE, EARTH & JUSTICE!

Parade from Farmer's Market leaves at 12:30 pm
Entertainment & Art Rally at Sackville Landing from 1:30-3:30 pm
Saturday, April 27

Join fellow Canadians on Saturday, April 27 to call for global peace and
justice. This event will also be a chance to honour Earth Day (April 22).
Our parade and rally are part of coast-to-coast peace events in Halifax,
Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Victoria, these events
launch a month-long People's Consultation on Peace.

Bring your family, friends, and neighbours! Wear a costume, bring signs and
noise-makers to let the government know what we care about!

Parade leaves at 12:30 pm from the Farmers' Market on Water Street. We'll
walk from the market, through downtown, to Sackville Landing (at the foot of
Sackville St. by harbour) for a fun-filled rally with local musicians and
artists to take place between 1:30-3:30 pm including speeches and
entertainment by Raging Grannies, Critical Mass Sing a Long (Women's Choir),
Queen Sized Shagg, Alleson Kase, Cliff White, Kojo and more!

Organized by the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, Council of Canadians,
Dalhousie's Women's Centre, Halifax Peace Alliance, NSPIRG, Oxfam, the
Society for Corporate Environmental and Social Responsibility (CESR),
Sisters of Charity, Solidarity Network Assembly Peace Caucus and the United
Church.

*Please distribute widely - we're hoping for a big gathering and lots of
press! A great opportunity for us to voice our social and environmental
concerns!

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
SUST-MAR TIP: tell your friends how to join sust-mar!

To join, just send "subscribe sust-mar" to majordomo@chebucto.ca

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

ARSON CHARGE IN PUBLIC GARDENS FIRE
A 24-year-old woman was arrested for allegedly setting fire to the Halifax
landmark in the Public Gardens Monday night.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_arson020423

CHILD PROTECTION WORKERS ANGRY OVER CUTS
 A group of child protection workers turned up at the legislature to tell
the Hamm government they're upset over the decision to eliminate six child
protection positions in Dartmouth, Cole Harbour, and Lower Sackville.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_childprot020423

DAILY NEWS EDITOR QUITS
Bill Turpin, the managing editor of the Halifax Daily News is quitting
because of what he calls philosophical conflicts with the paper's owners,
Canwest Global.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_turpin020423

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation