Alternative Graduation Ceremony with the Pledge at Dalhousie University

From: "CESR" <cesr@is2.dal.ca>
To: "Sust-Mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:39:24 -0300

For your interest and for those green educators...

I wanted to let you all know that we, CESR, did the Social and Environmental
Responsibility pledge at Dalhousie University this year. I believe we are
the first university in Canada to do the pledge.  It was an "Alternative
Graduation Ceremony" because the Registrar would not allow it to be part of
the official convocation. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful and inspirational
ceremony. The pledge was taken by 8 courageous Dal students.

The pledge was very easy to organize. This past semester, we sent out email
to students to let them know we were doing the pledge and asked them to RSVP
with our organizer, Ramona. On Saturday, May 11 from 11 am to 12 pm, we held
a short, simple ceremony at the Student Union Building. We had green ribbons
with Dal pins for each student and wallet-size pledge cards printed on
natural, post consumer paper for them to sign and keep. We had organic
catering by Home Grown Organics. Ramona Ryan, Tarah Wright, Professor Ed
Scott and the graduands gave very touching speeches. The Halifax Herald
picked up our press release on the following Tuesday.

The new Dalhousie Student Union has already discussed next year's pledge at
the latest council meeting. I should also mention that the students who took
the pledge this year said that they would wear their green ribbons and pins
to their official convocations  - a great green statement!

Below is information we sent to students about the pledge. There is also a
"pledge list serv group" that you might be interested in, if so, please
visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gradpledge

We've planted a pledge seed at Dal.
Tamara Lorincz

***
Dear graduating student,

Do you care about human rights, social justice, peace and the environment?
Do you want you to make a difference in the world? If so, we would like to
celebrate your commitment at the first Alternative Graduation Ceremony at
Dalhousie University. At this ceremony, graduands will take the social and
environmental responsibility pledge and share their vision for a better
world.

The pledge reads as such:
"I (student's name) pledge to explore and take into account the social and
environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve
these aspects in any organization for which I work."

Dalhousie University will be the first Canadian university with the pledge.
We plan to have an Alternative Graduation on Saturday evening, May 11. To
take part, please register by sending your name, email, phone number and
degree program, to Ramona Ryan: rryan@mgmt.dal.ca

The Social and Environmental Responsibility (SER) pledge was founded at
Humboldt State University in California in 1987. Students define what being
"responsible" means to themselves. Students at over a hundred colleges and
universities are using the pledge at some level, at schools which range in
size from Whitman, to Harvard, to the University of Kansas. Graduates who
voluntarily signed the pledge have turned down jobs they did not feel
morally comfortable with and have worked to make changes once on the job and
in their communities. For example, they have promoted recycling at their
organization, removed racist language from a training manual, worked for
gender parity and tolerance, organized community service programs for the
homeless and the hungry, changed corporate financing to ethical funds, and
helped to convince an employer to refuse a chemical weapons-related
contract. The pledge helps educate and motivate one to contribute to a
better world. Think of the impact if even a significant minority of the one
million college graduates each year signed and carried out the Pledge.

For more information on the pledge, please visit
http://www.manchester.edu/academic/programs/departments/Peace_Studies/files/
gpa.htm

The pledge at Harvard University:
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/06.07/09-gradpledge.html

At Stanford University: http://www.stanford.edu/group/SICD/pledge.html

The Alternative Graduation Ceremony is organized by the Society for
Corporate Environmental and Social Responsibility (CESR), visit our web site
at: http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr For more details, please contact Ramona Ryan:
rryan@mgmt.dal.ca or cesr@is2.dal.ca We would like this ceremony to be a
meaningful expression of your commitment, please feel free to give us ideas
as to how we can make this evening ceremony special for you.

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

GOVERNMENT TRYING TO PROTECT WATER SUPPLY
Farmers across Nova Scotia can expect a visit from agriculture officials
over the next three years as part of a new provincial government program.
The Hamm government is worried about the amount of chemicals and bacteria
getting into water sources, especially near farms.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_farms020527

MLAS EXEMPT FROM ANTI-SMOKING LAWS
It seems Nova Scotia's MLAs will be able to ignore the anti-smoking law
they're about to pass.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_antismoke020527

HALIFAX NEIGHBOURHOOD CONCERNED BY LEAD LEVELS IN DRINKING WATER
Some people who live near Sir John A. Macdonald High School have elevated
radioactive lead levels in their drinking water, and they want to know why
they weren't notified sooner by the province.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_water020527

NDP TO TABLE ITS OWN, TOUGHER, SMOKING BAN BILL
The NDP is changing tactics in an effort to breathe new life into the
fight against the Hamm government's anti-smoking law.  On Friday, New
Democrat Maureen MacDonald tabled her own anti-smoking bill that's much
tougher than what the Tories are proposing.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_ndpsmoke020524

SMOKING BAN WON'T APPLY ON RESERVES
Whatever the details of the new anti-smoking legislation, a senior Mi'kmaq
chief says it will not apply to reserves.  Membertou Chief Terry Paul says
his reserve is developing its own policies.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_reserve020524

CHEMICAL REACTION MAY HAVE CAUSED TAVERN FIRE
Halifax fire officials say spontaneous combustion could be to
blame for Thursday's fire at the Copper Penny Tavern in Halifax.
     Investigator Wayne Higgins says the fire started behind the bar in a
garbage can.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_fire020524

TORY SUGGESTS 'FAT TAX' WOULD CURB EATING HABITS
Some members of the Nova Scotia government are talking about a fat tax.
Tory backbencher John Chataway says he would like a study launched, to see
whether an extra tax on high-fat foods would encourage healthier eating
habits.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_fattax020524

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation