Commuter Rail in Nova Scotia

From: "Alexa McDonough, MP" <alexa@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Sust-Mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:42:39 -0300

Dear Friend,

Below, I have pasted a copy of a petition being circulated by Alexa
McDonough, MP for Halifax and Leader of Canada's NDP.  Copies of this
Petition are available by contacting our Halifax Office.

Please help us gather more signatures on this petition.

Regards,
Anne Marie

Anne Marie Foote,
Executive Assistant

Alexa McDonough,MP
Leader, Canada's New Democrats
319A-7071 Bayers Road
Halifax, NS  B3L 2C2
902.426.8691
902.426.8693 fax
alexa@hfx.eastlink.ca
www.ndp.ca
CEP232

_____________________
PETITION
TO THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
IN PARLIAMENT ASSEMBLED

Supporting a commuter rail service

We, the undersigned citizens of Canada draw the attention of the House of
Commons to the following:

That climate change and poor air quality due to increased air pollution is
affecting our quality of life.

That as a growing community of almost 400,000, metropolitan
Halifax/Dartmouth is in need of alternate transportation routes.

That we need to look for ways to make public transit generally and commuter
rail specifically, consistent with our vision for a better, cleaner future.

That a new transit system such as light-rail can reduce single-occupancy car
traffic, road widening and invite more compact corridors of urban
development to counteract urban sprawl.

That valuable secondary track has already been partially removed.

Therefore, petitioners call upon the Parliament of Canada to:

-	Ensure the Federal government supports environmentally safe, efficient,
effective, flexible and affordable transportation systems such as urban
transit systems and other transportation alternatives to ease urban traffic
congestion.
-	Work with CN to ensure a maximum number of commuter rail options are
available across Canada
-	Work with other levels of government to develop new solutions in addition
to commuter rail, to deal with the challenges of urban growth and
environmental degradation, in consultation with all affected residents.

NAME	 			ADDRESS					SIGNATURE

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

EXPERT NOT WORRIED ABOUT RADIOACTIVE WATER
A provincial official says parents should not worry, yet, about radioactive
elements found in drinking water in two elementary schools near Halifax.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_water020826

DIRTY AIR ON AGENDA AT PREMIERS, GOVERNORS TALKS
Premier John Hamm is in Quebec City Monday, for a meeting of Eastern
Premiers and New England Governors. The environment and energy are on the
agenda.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_premier020826

PROVINCE TO PROBE ENVIRONMENT OFFICES
The provincial environment department is reviewing its offices in the
Annapolis Valley -  and how its staff responds to public complaints.  A
former provincial environment official has been hired to do the job.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_environment020826

SHARK SIGHTINGS KEEP SWIMMERS AT BAY
Two beaches in Louisbourg have been closed to swimmers, as a precaution,
after two sightings of what people think are sharks.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_shark020826

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation