Stop Seismic Blasting on Inshore Fishing Grounds

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:27:01 -0400
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Aaron Koleszar <aaronk@isn.net>

From: "Irene Novaczek" <inova@isn.net>
Subject: please circulate
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:31:35 -0300

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PEIFA and Earth Action Call for a Stop to Seismic Blasting on Inshore
Fishing Grounds

In January 2002, in response to public concern public hearings were held on
the issue of petroleum exploration in nearshore waters around Cape Breton
Island. The PEI Fishermen's Association and Earth Action have learned that
the Canada Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board (CNSOPB) has interpreted
the Public Review Commission s report as a green light for exploration
activities on inshore fishing grounds around Cape Breton Island. The CNSOPB
have struck a "stakeholder committee" dominated by proponents of
development and chaired by themselves, which is supposed to come to
consensus on the fate of the inshore fishery. Yet the CNSOPB also
immediately made nonsense of the process by inviting Hunt Oil to table a
proposal for an exploration permit for Sydney Bight. Hunt is now planning
to shoot seismic in October 2002.

The habitats around Cape Breton Island are critical to the inshore fishery
that supports 20,000 direct and indirect jobs. They are the refuge areas
for remnant groundfish stocks and are also important for turtles, whales
and seabirds, some of which are endangered or at risk. Exploration or
development of petroleum wells anywhere near Cape Breton would put at risk
the inshore fisheries that support coastal communities of Nova Scotia, PEI,
New Brunswick and Quebec. In the public hearings held in January 2002,
expert witnesses warned of potential negative impacts, Environment Canada
explained the high biodiversity and vulnerability of the area and the Dept
of Fisheries pointed out that these fishing grounds are even more sensitive
than George s Bank (currently under moratorium for petroleum development
until 2011). The majority of presenters were solidly against putting the
area at risk. Serious gaps in scientific understanding of the ecosystem
were revealed, and the commissioner, Dr Theresa MacNeil, recommended that
time be taken to fill these gaps before taking any decision to proceed or
not proceed with exploration. Since her report came out, none of the
scientific research required to allow for a reasonable and informed
decision-making process has been undertaken.

Since 1999, the PEIFA and Earth Action have worked together with regional
fishermen s organizations, First Nations, tourism interests and other
concerned citizens to have a moratorium on petroleum development set in
place in the Gulf of St Lawrence and its approaches. "Concerned citizens
need to be very visible and vocal in resisting this unsustainable and
unethical development" stated Dr Irene Novaczek, marine biologist and
fisheries campaigner for Earth Action. "The CNSOPB is pushing this
development without acknowledgement of all the scientific evidence of risk
and the serious gaps in our understanding of the ecology of the area. We do
not at this point even have decent baseline data."  Rory MacLellan of PEIFA
added "The CNSOPB s process, as exemplified by this disrespectful and
unworkable stakeholder committee, is completely unacceptable."  The PEIFA
and Earth Action are urging concerned citizens to lobby MPs, MLA s,
Premiers and federal ministers to have this process stopped, the
exploration permits revoked, and a moratorium declared on further
exploration in or near the Gulf of St Lawrence.  "The petroleum industry
does not need access to more areas for exploration" summed up Dr
Novaczek.  "If we burn even a quarter of the reserves already identified,
climate change will become severe and probably irreversible.  It's time to
change our development path."

For more information, contact:

Irene Novaczek Earth Action (902) 964 2781

Rory MacLellan PEIFA (902) 566 4050

        -30-