Activist Love-In on Sat. March 1 from 8-11PM, Please RSVP

From: "CESR" <cesr@dal.ca>
To: "Sust-Mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 22:48:51 -0400

We, the Society for Corporate Environmental and Social Responsibility
(CESR), would like to invite you to participate in our Activist Love-In. The
purpose of the event is get environmental and social activists/idealists who
are
trying to make this world a better place to come together to meet one
another, share resources, create a sense of community and appreciate each
other's hard work.

Event: Activist Love-In
Location: Grad House
6154 University Ave., Dalhousie University campus, Halifax
(corner of University Ave. and LeMarchant Ave.)
Date: Saturday, March 1
Time: 8:00-11:00 pm
(Please check in and set up between 8-8:30 pm. 2-hour program will begin at
8:30 PM)
Free Entrance, Free Food and Non-Smoking (smoking outside only)
Individuals and Societies, please RSVP to cesr@dal.ca

For the event, we are developing a program, which will consist of playing
ice breaker games (to get people meeting each other), singing activist songs
(music is very unifying), speaking about the various groups' work, campaigns
and urgent actions (sharing resources), and recognizing individuals who have
made a huge environmental and social difference on campus and/or in the
community. At the event, there will also be tables to display your resources
and society material. The Activist Love-in is group-oriented, that is why we
will have icebreakers to get people interacting with those they don't know
and we will have song sheets for us to sing activist songs together. The
only individual part of the evening will be the awards; we need to pat
people on the back who have been working extra hard, recognize their efforts
and encourage them to keep it up. We will be supplying food (free pizza and
snacks) and program guides. The grad house will be selling non-alcoholic and
alcoholic drinks. After the program, we can dance, relax and continue to
socialize until 1am. If your society would like to be apart of this fun
social event, please read the "Society Info" below.

SOCIETY INFO
We want this to be an inclusive event and to be OUR event not a CESR event,
so please let us know if your group can come and we will put all the groups'
names on the posters and the announcements. There is no cost to your society
to sponsor the event, we would just like societies take part in the program.

What we need from each society:
1. A contact person who will submit a description about your group and
nominations
2. Please tell your members about this event and distribute this
announcement and to give us a general number of the people coming so we can
organize properly
3. Please nominate someone IN your organization who has "gone that extra
mile" (Please prepare a short bio about that person and what they've done
and invite them to the event)
4. Please nominate someone OUTSIDE your organization who you would like to
recognize for their work (Please prepare a short bio about that person and
what they've done and invite them to the event)
5. Please let us know who you are nominating so that there are not
duplications.
6. Please designate someone in your organization who will introduce your
society and present the awards at our Activist Love-In.
7. If your group would like to lead an icebreaker, song or cheer, please let
us know and send the lyrics/words etc... it must be a group activity.

We will be preparing the program and program guides (with info about the
groups, activist songs, resources and individuals getting awards) and will
submit a draft for your input in a couple of weeks. For the awards, we would
like target the "unsung heroes" and to give them a polariod picture
receiving their nomination and a little fair trade gift (ie. coffee or
chocolate).

WHAT ELSE WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
1. We would like a singer to lead the group songs, if you can sing and lead
a group song, please reply to cesr@dal.ca (we have a guitarist who knows the
music!)
2. If you have a polariod camera and can take pictures that night, please
reply to cesr@dal.ca (we will pay for the film!)

Please let us know by February 13, 2003 if your society can participate,
info about your society, your nominations, and the expected number of people
coming from your organization. If you have any questions, comments or
suggestions, please reply to cesr@dal.ca Please circulate this message to
your members.

In solidarity, peace and love,
Farah Al-Ayoubi
Tamara Lorincz
Amanda Salzberger
(CESR Organizers)

ABOUT CESR
The Society for Corporate Environmental and Social Responsibility is a
multi-disciplinary student organization based at Dalhousie University and a
non-profit society registered in Nova Scotia. The society started in
September 2000 and is now in its third year. We are currently comprised of
an 8-member student council and have over 50 regular members. Our members
have a shared interest in advancing and acting on issues related to
environmentalism, social justice, sustainability, corporate responsibility,
ethics, peace, democracy, good governance and human rights. CESR is a very
active club on campus and in the community. We organize workshops, lectures,
awareness campaigns, and other events related to our mission. For more
information about CESR, please visit our web site at:
http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr or email us at cesr@dal.ca