CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Pesticide maker urges city council to drop ban

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:26:42 -0500 (EST)

What's up with HRM Council? If I still lived in Halifax, I think I'd be on
the phone to my municipal Councillor ... asking WHY s/he met behind closed
doors with the world's largest lawn pesticide company ... and WHAT they
talked about. I think Haligonians have a right to those answers from your
elected representatives. You're paying their salaries!
~paul

This email has been sent to you by pfalvo@chebucto.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS NOVASCOTIA
  at http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_scottlobby20030207
PESTICIDE MAKER URGES CITY COUNCIL TO DROP BAN

WebPosted Feb 7 2003 08:51 AM AST

HALIFAX -  The world's largest lawn care company is trying to stop Halifax
municipal councillors from banning pesticides. A lobbyist with the Ohio-based Scott company met with regional councillors
Thursday behind closed doors.

Halifax is banning lawn pesticides, the first such ban in the
country.

<UL><LI><FONT SIZE="1">From July 13, 2000 - </FONT><FONT SIZE=2><A
HREF="http://cbc.ca/storyview/CBC/2000/07/12/pesticides000712"
onClick="openWindow(this,'links')">Halifax to ban lawn chemicals
</A></FONT></UL>

Scott is one of the biggest players in the garden chemicals business. The company sold about $2 billion worth of garden products last
year, including the widely used weed killer Roundup.

"It's not about money," says Jill Fairbrother
representing the Scott company. "It's about the regulatory
framework."

Some of the councillors who met with Scott say they want to keep the
existing no-spray zones for those with pesticide-related medical
problems, but they don't want to see a wider ban.

"I think a total ban is a breach of democracy," says councillor Gary Hines.

But some councillors question Thursday private meeting, and say it should never have taken place.

"Here we have a company that has a lot of money at stake," says Sue Uteck. "Now
they are lobbying councillors behind closed doors. I don't think it's the
appropriate procedure."

Support for lawn spraying in the city area is declining.

According to a poll conducted by the Halifax Regional Municipality last
fall, only seven per cent of Halifax residents still use chemical sprays.

Ottawa, Toronto and several other Canadian cities are considering pesticide
bylaws similar to the one in Halifax.

Halifax's bylaw goes into effect April 1, 2003.

Copyright © 2003 CBC All Rights Reserved

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
SUST-MAR TIP: tell your friends how to join sust-mar!

To join, just send "subscribe sust-mar" to majordomo@chebucto.ca

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

SCHOOL BOARD PAYS PARENTS TO SHUTTLE KIDS
Some parents in southwest Nova Scotia
are being paid to drive their children
to school in another county.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_barrington20030211

FISHERMAN, EXXON BATTLE OVER COMPENSATION FOR LOBSTER LOSSES
The world's largest oil company and its partners drilling off Nova Scotia
are fighting a lobster fisherman over $3,100.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_exxoncourt20030210

FUEL COSTS HEAT UP IN CAPE BRETON
   The price of home heating oil in Cape Breton has reached a record
high. A litre now costs 60.9 cents, not including tax.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_cbheatingoil20030210

OPPOSITION, BACKBENCHERS WANT DEBATE ON IRAQ
Opposition members of Parliament and even some Liberal backbenchers want
more debate on Canada's role in a possible war in Iraq.
FULL STORY:
http://cbc.ca/stories/2003/02/11/iraq_vote030211© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation

Copyright CBC 2003