sust-mar: Educating Allies workshop with Anne Bishop at Tatamagouche Centre

From: "Wilf Bean" <wbean@tatacentre.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:25:31 -0500

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Tatamagouche Centre presents -
Educating Allies: Breaking the Cycle of Oppression
March 5 - 6 Fri. 7 pm - Sat. 4 pm

Dare to hope for a more just world! Do you want to join others to work
seriously at transforming society? In this workshop we will reflect
critically on our roles as allies in working toward anti-discrimination.
Together we will identify connections and parallels in various oppressions,
reflect on the nature of solidarity and accompaniment, and work to build
non-competitive networks for those involved in solidarity with the
oppressed.

Leadership: Anne Bishop discovered sexism when professors didn't hear what
she said in class until a male student repeated the point. Later she went
public as a lesbian and discovered what it feels like to be spit at,
threatened and told by complete strangers that she was going to hell!
Through involvement in anti-poverty and anti-racism work she was also forced
to see herself as a member of an oppressor group. The author of Becoming An
Ally: Breaking the Cycle of Oppression, she and her partner operate a small
organic farm in Nova Scotia; and Eric Tusz-King, Outreach, Stewardship &
Mission Support with the Maritime Conference, United Church of Canada, is
active in social justice work.

Cost: $135 includes tuition, food and lodging. Bursaries Available!

For Further Information, or for your free 2004 program calendar, contact
Tatatamagouche Centre at 1-800-218-2220; by email at tatacent@tatacentre.ca
or online at www.tatacentre.ca
===

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca