sust-mar: 3 Things: Foreign Policy Talk on Mar. 19, Peace March on Mar. 20, and Critical Mass on Mar. 26

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:11:59 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Three things FYI :)

(1) Canadian Foreign Policy: Ahead or Backwards
Friday, 19 March 2004
Scotiabank Auditorium, FASS building
6:00-7:30
Richard Gwyn, Nationally Syndicated Columnist
All welcome to this free event.
Organized by the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies at Dalhousie
University http://www.dal.ca/~centre/wint2004sems.html

(2) SATURDAY MARCH 20, 1:30 pm at the South Common  (Bell Road). This
event is one of many, which will take place around the world on March
20, 2004. It will mirror the day last year on Feb. 15 when 10 million
people in 600 cities around the world demonstrated against the impending
U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, in the largest protest for peace in world
history. Similar events will take place in Australia, Japan, New
Zealand, Philippines, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, South
Korea, Thailand, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Algeria,
Egypt, Morocco, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Austria, Belgium, Czech
Republic, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary,
Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal,Scotland,
Spanish state, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Argentina,
Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, United States and across
Canada.

We need your voice. In a time of empire-building and the destruction of
democratic process, Canada needs to become a strong, independent voice
for
peace, democracy, social and environmental justice.

Especially as we head towards an election, we have to let our leaders
know that Canadians want our country to take a lead in promoting
peaceful resolution of conflict. Canada needs to help build the
conditions for peace and to demonstrate support for multi-lateralism and
international law. We need to protect the rights of immigrants and
refugees and we want a foreign and defence policy that builds global
security. We oppose the weaponization of space -- Canada should not
become involved in any ballistic missile defence program.

The world has not forgotten Iraq or the illegal occupation and still
says no to war. Please join with us as Halifax says no to war, too.

Please help us by attending the PEACE MARCH, by spreading the word about
the
march and by encouraging others to attend as well.

You can contact us at hfxpeace@chebucto.ca or check our website at
hfxpeace.chebucto.org. Color and black and white posters are available
in pdf format for downloading at the website at:
http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/ae/activismevents.htm

We hope to see you on March 20th.
The Halifax Peace Coalition

(3) Don't forget to mark your calendars in advance for the critical mass
bike ride on Friday, March 26 at 5:15 pm on the corner of Bell Rd. and
Trollope St. (Nova Scotia Community College). Wear something green in
memory of Tooker Gomberg, well-known national environmental and social
justice activist, who is deeply missed :(
http://www.greenspiration.org/
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040305.wgomb03205/BNSt
ory/Front/

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca