sust-mar: "CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTORS TO WAR" on Apr.29, DUMP & RUN on May 1 etc...

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:10:07 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Hello Sust-Mar!

Spring has finally sprung - nine items below...

Tamara :)

Halifax film premiere on Sunday, April 25 as part of a 25-city national
tour across Canada!

WAITING FOR MARTIN :
IN SEARCH OF A VIRTUAL POLITICIAN

Halifax, April 12, 2004 - A new weapon of mass derision and reflection
will hit Halifax on April 25 with the premiere of the satirical film
WAITING FOR MARTIN by Magnus Isacsson and Sophia Southam. It follows a
candidate who just won't take "no" for an answer as he tries to meet his
opponent, the elusive Paul Martin, to debate his record as Finance
Minister in public. Beyond its humouristic tone, the film raises
important political issues which will be at the heart of debates
organized in 25 cities, following the presentation of the film. Already
screened to excited audiences from Montreal to Victoria, WAITING FOR
MARTIN is coming to the East Coast, showing at 7pm on Sunday, April 25
at the McMeachan room of the Killam Library at Dalhousie University.
Film star Dave Bernans will be on-hand to discuss the fim as well as a
community panel to discuss its impications.

for more info - please check out www.cinemalibre.com/waitingformartin

"CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTORS TO WAR"
JEREMY HINZMAN and ROGER DAVIES
Thursday, April 29
7:30 PM
Room 105
Weldon Law Building
Dalhousie University
6061 University Ave.
Halifax, NS

Jeremy Hinzman is a US soldier who refused to serve in Iraq because he
is a conscientious objector to the war. In January of this year, he left
the US and applied for refugee status with his wife and son in Canada
(http://www.jeremyhinzman.net/). The Halifax Peace Coalition has
organized a public event for Jeremy on Thursday, April 29. That evening,
Jeremy will be joined by Roger Davies, a Vietnam war draft resister,
peace activist and long-time resident of Halifax, and they will discuss
their experiences and Canada's role as a refuge from war. Michael Cross,
a retired social historian and history professor at Dalhousie
University, will chair the session. This free public event will be held
7:30 pm, Thursday April 29 in room 105 of the Weldon Law Building,
Dalhousie University, 6061 University Ave. Donations appreciated to
support Jeremy's refugee bid. All welcome.

This event is organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition, for more
information please email us at: hfxpeace@chebucto.ca and visit our web
site at: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

AMANDLA! A REVOLUTION IN FOUR-PART HARMONY on CBC Newsworld
The Passionate Eye TV Documentary http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyesunday/
Sunday April 25, 2004 at 10pm ET/PT (2 hours) *Check your local TV guide
for Atlantic Time and Channel!

Nine years in the making, Amandla! brings dozens of freedom songs to the
screen, drawing upon original recordings, never-before-seen footage and
thrilling, sometimes impromptu live performances by celebrated South
African musicians including Miriam Makeba and Hugh Masekela. Winner of
the Audience Award at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival, Amandala! A
Revolution in Four-Part Harmony tells the entire story of black South
African's long struggle for freedom through the power of song. It is
directed and produced by Lee Hirsch.

Stephen cross, artistic director of the irondale ensemble project,
offers a workshop titled: resistance fighting
- the artist and the evolving occupation of industrialism.
- with reference to John Steinbeck's _The Moon Is Down_ and Wendell
Berry's _Citizenship Papers_.

mostly hands on pop theatre workshop, some theory ... some irony

cost $15, Thursday April 29, 10-5, Irondale Ensemble Project Saint
Patrick's Alexandra School, 2277 Maitland St, rm 106.

for more information and to register: 423-5968/stevecross@irondale.ca

DON'T BE FOOLED
The Ten Worst Greenwashers of 2003
http://www.thegreenlife.org/report.html

Nominations Now Open for CBC's "Greatest Canadian"
Consider people like Maude Barlow, David Suzuki, Tommy Douglas etc...
You can vote until May 16
Vote Now:
www.cbc.ca/greatest

"The Corporation" Film at the Oxford Theatre - EXTENDED UNTIL APR. 29
Playing at the Oxford Theatre 6408 Quinpool Road from April 9-29.
Weekday show time is 7:30pm, and weekend show times are 4:30 and 7:30pm.
Phone for more info: 423-7488

DUMP AND RUN!

The Dalhousie Dump and Run - 2004
Community Garage Sale and Environmental Fair

When: Saturday May 1, 2004 from 8:30am to 2:30pm
Where: The Dalhousie Arena
(Corner of South and LeMarchant)

The entire Dalhousie University and Halifax community is invited to
donate reusable items for this sale from Wednesday, April 28 to Friday,
April 30. Items can be dropped off at the Dalhousie Arena from 1pm to
4pm and 6pm to 8pm each day. You can also contact us for pickup during
these times. (see below)

Proceeds donated to local charities!

Also an Environmental Fair Including:
NSPIRG, NS Bird Society, Ecosurf, CESR, DalGreen, Roots Collective,
Clean NS, RRFB, HRM Solid Waste, and more!

For more information or pickups contact us at:
Email: cesr@dal.ca
Phone: (902) 440-2141
Website: Go to http://is2.dal.ca/~cesr/ and
click on the "Dump and Run" link

Please sign the open letter to oppose Canada's participation in American
missile defence - Go to the Ceasefire web site:

http://www.ceasefire.ca/

Please also sign the Voice of Women's Declaration to End All Wars:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~vow/campaigns.htm

DECLARATION TO END ALL WAR

WAR IS OBSOLETE. It is time to place armed struggles for power alongside
other failed human institutions: the divine right of kings, slavery made
legitimate by the state, racial segregation. In abandoning these, we
have demonstrated our capacity for reason, justice and humanity. So,
too, we must forever reject the brutality and devastation of war.

WAR KILLS THE INNOCENT. In the early 1900s, 90% of war-related deaths
were military personnel. By this century, 90% are civilians, and 80% of
these are women and children.

WAR THREATENS ALL LIFE. The race to develop bigger and more destructive
armaments is a contest that no one will win. Nuclear, chemical and
biological weapons respect no boundaries and are a threat to each
individual life, indeed to the continuation of life itself on this
planet.

WAR WASTES RESOURCES. Multinational arms production places profit over
peace, corporate interests over human life, without assuring our
security. The world spends close to one trillion dollars a year on war,
resources that could swiftly reduce poverty, famine, disease and
environmental destruction.

We believe that war is illegitimate and unjustifiable. It threatens the
lives of our children and the future of Earth. History has shown that it
is possible to effect peaceful change. Gandhi's path to freedom in
India, the collapse of the Soviet Union, the ending of Apartheid in
South Africa, the U.S. Civil Rights Movement: all of these demonstrate
that peace works. If we want a future, we must consign war to the shelf
of history!

. We call for nations and warring factions within nations to join in
making war an illegal and illegitimate human activity.

. We call for the abolition of all weapons of mass destruction as called
for in UN sponsored treaties and conventions and for the elimination of
the illicit trade in small arms.

. We call for disputing parties to pursue non-violent ways of resolving
differences; mediation, arbitration, conflict resolution, and
non-violent citizen-based defense.

. We call for international bodies to be created or expanded to provide
and monitor peaceful alternatives to armed conflict.

. We call for peace agreements that prevent the re ignition of
hostilities and which include measures for post conflict reconciliation.

. We call for a proportionate representation of gender, race and ethnic
background in all institutions and processes dealing with peace and war.

. We call for all students as well as military personnel, particularly
those in conflict zones, to be educated in the study of peace,
non-violence, gender equality, environmental stewardship and world
citizenship.

. We call for a world that promotes equality, fosters solidarity
celebrates diversity and protects its most vulnerable citizens.

www.vowpeace.org

TEN THINGS YOU CAN DO TO ABOLISH WAR

1. Raise your voice. Send letters or e-mails to your elected
representatives and to corporate interests that contribute to war. Join
peaceful demonstrations in your community. Talk to friends, neighbors
and community groups about the steps needed to abolish war.

2. Practice peace. Find the barriers to peace in yourself. Search out
your hidden judgments, racism, sexism, ageism. Do role-playing to
prepare yourself for non-violent response. Peace begins with you.

3. Study peace. Read books, watch films, join discussion and action
groups to increase your knowledge about war and its effects.

4. Teach your children. Become involved in teaching peace at home, in
the schools, in church or community groups. Mentor younger people to
help them prepare to assume leadership roles. A peaceful future will
depend on them.

5. Broaden your horizons. Get to know people of other ethnic origins,
cultures and religions than yours.

6. Listen to the women. Wars are started by men and, for the most part,
are fought by men. Listen to the voices of women raised against war.
Hear those who have been widowed or raped or imprisoned, for theirs are
powerful arguments for peace.

7. Be ecologically aware. Increase your understanding of the network of
life and humans' place in it. Learn to "think like a mountain". Remember
that what we do to the Earth, we do to ourselves.

8. Reduce your consumption. The world's resources are limited. Learn to
live with less. Be conscious of what you wear or eat or throw away.
Reduce your use of energy-intensive means of transportation. Grow your
own food and if you have more than you need, share it with a neighbor.

9. Celebrate the creative Arts. Live your creativity. Support creative
expression in your community. Poetry, art, theater, music, literature
are all powerful ways of speaking the language of peace.

10. Believe that an end to war is possible.

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca