sust-mar: Urgent Action: Help Us Prevent a Backroom Deal on Missile Defence

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:38:40 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Dear Friend for Peace,

We urgently need you to contact the Prime Minister and your MP to let
them know you do not want Canada to join American Ballistic Missile
Defence (BMD). Learn more about BMD from the links at the bottom of this
message. Please circulate this critical appeal far and wide.

Writing into the ministers does make a difference. It was because
Canadians persistently contacted the government in the 1980s that it
kept the advanced cruise missile out of Canada for as long as it did. CM
testing generated more mail in protest than any other issue in all of
our history.

SO, PLEASE WRITE, PHONE, FAX AND EMAIL and help us Keep Canada out of
BMD!

Please send an email to Prime Minister Martin here:
http://www.ceasefire.ca/
(It takes only 5 seconds of your time. Join hundreds of people who are
signing on every day).

Please also email, fax, write or phone the PM's Office, Your MP, DND and
DFAIT to let them know you are opposed to BMD (Sample Letter Below).

* Contact your MP:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/house/mpscur.asp?lang=E

* Prime Minister Paul Martin
80 Wellington Street, Ottawa, K1A 0A2
Email: pm@pm.gc.ca
Tel: 613-996-3949 Fax: 613-941-6900

* Minister of National Defence (DND) Bill Graham
George R Pearkes Bldng, Ottawa, K1A 0K2,
Email: grahab@parl.gc.ca / dnd_mdn@forces.gc.ca
Tel : 613-992-2772  Fax: 613- 992-1209

* Minister of Foreign Affairs (DFAIT) Pierre Pettigrew
125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
Email: pettigrew.p@parl.gc.ca
Tel: 613-992-5234 Fax: 613-996-9607

SAMPLE LETTER:

Dear Prime Minister Martin,

(Your personal note here)

Canadians overwhelmingly opposed George W. Bush's invasion of Iraq - and
during the election you agreed that they were right.

Now, Canadians are urging you to keep Canada out of George W. Bush's
missile defence scheme. An Ipsos-Reid poll in March found that 69% are
opposed to Canada joining the missile shield.

Missile defence is dangerous and destabilizing. It will bolster the
U.S.'s first-strike capabilities, launching a new arms race on Earth and
in space as other countries build new weapons able to counter the
system.

Missile defence will also dramatically compromise Canada's independence
and our role as peacekeeper and diplomat. How could we possibly oppose
future American military adventures while being an integral part of the
system designed to defend the U.S. homeland against retaliation?

As we have seen in Iraq, military might does not ensure security. The
largest military force in the world has been incapable of bringing
security to Iraq. The hundreds of billions of dollars for missile
defence would be better used to address other, more pressing security
concerns such as global poverty and AIDS.

Mr. Martin, during the election you promised to listen to Canadians. We
are urging you to keep Canada out of missile defence.

I await your reply,

(Your name)

For More Information about BMD:

Canadian Peace Alliance
www.acp-cpa.ca/NMDactions.htm

Cease Fire
www.ceasefire.ca

Halifax Peace Coalition - BMD Reader
http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

Project Ploughshares
www.ploughshares.ca

Thank you,

The Halifax Peace Coalition
hfxpeace@chebucto.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca