sust-mar: Request to Extend Comment Period for NS Environment Act Amendments

From: "Helen Jones" <hjones@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Policy" <POLICY@gov.ns.ca>
Cc: <morashkg@gov.ns.ca>, <kgmorashmla@ns.aliantzinc.ca>,
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:15:09 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  Thanks!
Nova Scotia Environment and Labour
Policy Division
5151 Terminal Road 6th Floor
P.O. Box 697
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2T8
policy@gov.ns.ca

To the Policy Committee:

Thank you for your kind reply to my concerns regarding the placement of the
comment window for the proposed changes to the NS Environment Act, such that
it began and ended (August 23rd) during the summer vacation period, when
most Nova Scotians are unable to review or prepare a response, and may not
even be aware of the proposal at all.

I very much appreciate the extension of the comment period you have
suggested of September 7th for myself and others.  However, the shortness of
the extension still poses significant problems for several reasons:

1.  The period between now and Sept 7th spans the Labour Day weekend and one
of the busiest organizing periods in the year for many Nova Scotian
families.

2.  For anyone interested in obtaining the document "Environment Act:
Proposed Amendments, June, 2004," requesting and receiving a copy by mail
from your department could fully consume the new extension period.

3.  As far as I know your department has not publicized the extension period
suggested in your August 23rd email addressed to me personally, and has no
plans to do so.

I think you may have misunderstood the intent of my request for a 2 month
extension ending October 15th.  I did not want any preferential treatment
with respect to the opportunity to reply to the proposed changes, but rather
I feel strongly that all Nova Scotians deserve an opportunity to comment on
changes in government policies that will affect the entire province.  The
proposals include many detailed changes, some less explicitly defined than
others, some omitting required environmental assessment processes in certain
situations, some changing obligatory reviews of the Environment Act so they
happen less often, and some altering the definition of adverse effects and
safeguards w.r.t. the "reasonable enjoyment of life and property."

As of course you know, part of making this the meaningful democratic process
that NS DOEL is seeking is not just providing the public with an adequate
time in which to respond, but also letting the public know that such an
opportunity exists.

I therefore urge you once again to kindly address the changes needed to
facilitate public process by extending the comment period until October 15,
and to publicize the new closing date widely in the various media.

Very sincerely,

Helen Jones MSc., EdD
Past Member, Pesticide Bylaw Advisory Committee
Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM)
Board Member, Real Alternatives to Toxins in the Environment (RATE)