sust-mar: Global/Local Peace-builders program at Tatamagouche Centre

From: "Wilf Bean" <wbean@tatacentre.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:11:41 -0400

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Hi friends:
I would appreciate if you could share information about our Peace-Building
program March 4 - 6 with anyone who might be interested.

I met Colin Craig last summer at an international conference on
peace-building and I was very impressed. He is a profoundly committed,
experienced peace-builder, although not at all naive about the difficulty of
building a culture of peace in the realities of hatred, revenge and
mistrust. He is also a great story-teller!

Thanks for helping share information on this event,

Wilf Bean
Program Director
Tatamagouche Centre
==================================

Creating Peace in a Violent World:
with Colin Craig,  Corrymeela Community,
Northern Ireland
March 4 - 6, Fri 7 pm - Sun 1 pm

During the violent clashes between Northern Ireland Protestants and
Catholics in the 1960s and 70s, a group of both Protestant and Catholic
peace-makers came together committed to creating a safe space for both sides
to meet. They created Corrymeela, based in part on the celtic community of
Iona, Scotland.

Through many efforts and set-backs, including several deaths, the Corrymeela
Christian Community developed a practice of working for peace within
situations of violence. From these beginnings, the community of Corrymeela
has become an international symbol of dedicated people working together to
create spaces where both sides in a conflict can come together to develop a
practice of reconciliation.

Colin Craig is a long-term member of the Corrymeela community, having served
as their director for many years. He now shares his vast experience around
the world training peace-builders in other trouble-spots including Kosovo,
Macedonia, Bosnia and Pakistan. Colin will be coming to Tatamagouche Centre
March 4 - 6 to share stories and lessons-learned  from his years of
experience in peace-building. Find out more about Colin at
www.tidestraining.org

Joining Colin will be:
Dr. Thomas Mark Turay, Coady International Institute and former Director of
the Centre for Development and Peace, Makeni, Sierra Leone

Kathryn Anderson, author, Weaving Relationships: Canada - Guatemala
Solidarity, and coordinator Guatemala Breaking the Silence Network

Wilf Bean, Tatamagouche Centre Program Director

Cost: $235 ~ Bursaries Available
Contact the Registrar, Tatamagouche Centre
1-800-218-2220  ~  www.tatacentre.ca

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca