sust-mar: CBCNEWS NOVASCOTIA - Proposed coal mine meets opposition

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ca
From: nwonline@toronto.cbc.ca
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:12:54 -0500 (EST)

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Paul Falvo was surfing novascotia.cbc.ca and sent you this CBC News story with the comment:
""
PROPOSED COAL MINE MEETS OPPOSITION

POINT ACONI, N.S. -
Point Aconi-area residents are fighting a proposed surface coal mine they fear will deplete their water supply.

Thomas Brogan and Sons Construction Ltd. wants to extract a 50,000-tonne block of coal at Point Aconi, near the former Prince Mine, over a one-year period.

But residents in the area have formed a citizens' group against strip mining, saying the operation would affect the quality of the area's water.

"Where this strip mine is proposed is right in our water recharge area. If we destroy our recharge area, we will not have any water," said Boularderie Island resident Allen Nicholson, one of a number of people who packed a community hall Sunday to voice their opposition to the project.

Gerald Sampson, the MLA for the area, promised to take the group's concerns to the legislature.

"I felt before I came here that the feeling was 100 per cent against it, and those are the feelings I will take back to the legislature," Sampson said.

Tom Brogan and Sons applied to the provincial Environment Department last year to have its project go through an environmental assessment, one of the steps necessary for the mine to open.

In January, Environment Minister Kerry Morash said he didn't have enough information to make a decision, sending the company back to address reclamation issues.

Environment and Labour - Point Aconi mine proposal

Copyright © 2005 CBC All Rights Reserved
This story, forwarded to you by pfalvo@chebucto.ca,
appears on http://cbc.ca at the following URL:
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns-mine-opp20050221
Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca