sust-mar: Film screening "Arsenal of Hypocrisy", Iraq flash, and "The Corporation"

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:31:13 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
Three things:

(1) All are invited to this free film screening and community event

Arsenal of Hypocrisy: The U.S. Space Program and its Military Industrial
Complex

Wednesday, May 4
7:00 p.m.
Rockingham United Church
12 Flamingo Drive
(off the Bedford Highway)

Refreshments provided.
Free. All Welcome.

The majority of Canadians were opposed to joining the American Ballistic
Missile Defense (BMD) program because of how it related to the U.S. plans to
dominate and control space. Arsenal of Hypocrisy reveals how BMD is a guise
for the weaponization of space and how the U.S. Military Industrial Complex
is marching towards world dominance through space technology on behalf of
global corporate interest (60 minutes, 2003). To understand how and why the
space program will be used to fight all future wars on earth from space, it
is important to understand how the public has been misled about the origins
and true purpose of the space program. After the screening, there will be a
public discussion on Canada's military cooperation with the U.S., the North
American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) and Canada's new foreign policy
review. To learn more about U.S. space plans, please visit the Global
Network web site: www.space4peace.org For more information about the event,
please contact Beulah Gordon at: BGprismatix@aol.com

Public discussion will follow screening. Not-to-miss!

(2) A sobering FLASH presentation on Iraq

http://bushflash.com/y2.html

(3) A message from THE CORPORATION Producer/Director Mark Achbar, and
Campaign Strategist Katherine Dodds

(Information below on how to get involved with DVD House Parties and The May
7 live online debate! Check out also http://www.TheCorporation.com/DEBATE)

Dear Corporation Supporters,

Since THE CORPORATION launched in theatres across North America we have
heard from so many of you the same question: what do we do now? Of course,
there's no silver bullet solution to the problems of the corporation, but
Jennifer, Joel and I did end the film with some case studies and examples of
resistance to corporate rule, as well as with a few URLs of groups working
on the issues. This was only a start. I've now put over 8 hours of extra
features onto the 2-DVD set. This "toolkit" includes a section called "What
to do?" in the Q's & A's section of Disc 1, and the "Topical Paradise" on
Disc 2 offers a road map to the extra info on the issues, including a
wide-ranging one-hour section on "Strategies For Change." As well, there are
many more weblinks listed and a DVD ROM feature that works in PCs and Macs
to make those links live and clickable.

Since the film's inception almost 8 years ago, Katherine Dodds (who is
featured on Disc 1 talking about grassroots marketing) has been spearheading
the initiatives to connect with individuals and organizations working on the
issues raised within the film. She is the force behind our website. Kat is a
"social issue marketer" and my conversations with her about the potential
impact of films, media, and the web began what seems like eons ago in
relation to my previous film, "Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the
Media" (made with Peter Wintonick). That film has continued to inspire
activism and debate for over a decade and we hope The Corporation will have
same kind of lifespan. Kat has, for many years, put issues before income and
with her small team at Good Company Communications she continues to be
dedicated to the mission to see that this film actually has an impact on the
corporate institution itself.

But I'll let Kat explain her current Corporation DVD House Party campaign.

All the best - Mark Achbar

PS. If you just want to buy the DVD - buying it from www.HelloCoolStuff.com
(a recipient of "The Corporation Seal Of Approval") linked off
TheCorporation.com homepage will support this, and other grassroots
campaigns!

CORPORATION DVD HOUSE PARTIES AND DEBATE: HARNESSING MOMENTUM TO BUILD A
MOVEMENT

Dear friends,

As I am sure you all know the DVD is out!! And we don't need your help to
sell it, because it seems to be flying off the shelves. We do need your help
to ensure that this film has an impact where it is really needed - something
that can't be measured by box office and sales reports! We need you to
gather around the DVD, in your homes, (or offices) and decide what should be
done about this far too powerful institution. By participating in a house
party you'll also get the best deal on offer for a copy of the DVD. (Cheaper
than Amazon.com) Cheap enough to give away to those you think who might need
to see it!

The beauty of the house party model is that it's fun, easy to organize, and
we hope effective in making a difference. I've jokingly described house
parties as "the new Tupperware" - and the metaphor is appropriate to an
ironic twist on corporate strategies.

But this time, it's not a pyramid scheme in terms of profit motives. It's
more akin to the old fashioned phone-tree, with the newer power of the web
to network, to connect, and to provide an opportunity for feedback. If we
can generate 1000 house parties across North America, and they have on
average 10 people attending - then we have 10,000 people brainstorming about
what we can do to effect change. If each of those 10,000 people forward the
email about our campaign to 10 more.well you get the picture!

But we aren't merely interested in proving that we can throw a great party!
I am also personally committed to taking all the feedback from the house
parties and creating a feed-forward loop - shaping the ideas that are
generated and shape them into a "Framework For Action" document, leading to
a campaign to reduce corporate harm. We will be collecting online feedback
from partygoers to this end. We are also in this process building an online
grassroots network through http://www.HelloCoolWorld.com, which we hope will
be a useful service for this campaign, and many others to come. We'd like
you to see this as YOUR network - registering allows you to choose the kinds
of info you'd like to receive in future, which films and campaigns you'd
like to hear about, and what level of involvement you'd like to have.

MAY 7, 2005 IS THE DAY TO PARTY!

While party hosts are free to pick any date that works for them, we have
designated May 7, 2005 as the "official" collaborative rethink and "Debate
The Corporation Day." We encourage people to host or attend a party that
day, and tune in to a special live online forum on what we should do with
the corporate form. Representatives of the three "official" positions
(Reform, Regulate, Rewrite) will each pitch their case. If you don't want to
be part of an actual party you can join in or observe the online debate by
registering on the HelloCoolWorld.com Grassroots network. Check out
www.thecorporation,com/debate for info and updates and how to log in.

This is a terrific opportunity to consolidate the momentum from The
Corporation's release onto DVD into a campaign, and this is our diabolical
scheme. (That would be "diabolical" in the angel/devil corporation logo
sense!) We truly hope that we can launch a collaborative, creative process -
worldwide - to rethink what the corporation means, and how to diminish its
power over people and the planet.

Please join us in this project!

Cheers,
Katherine Dodds
Campaign Strategist

INFO ABOUT THE DVD HOUSE PARTY CAMPAIGN & DEBATE AT:
http://www.TheCorporation.com/DEBATE

Find all this and more!

Check out our DVD House Party Public Service Announcement

Join the DVD House Parties!
We are inviting individuals & organizations from all across North America to
host and attend Corporation DVD House Parties to discuss solutions to the
problems of corporate misrule.

Rethink The Corporation DEBATE
Saturday May 7th is the official DEBATE THE CORPORATION DAY. At 10PM EST/
7PM PST we are you to visit http://www.TheCorporation.com/DEBATE to view an
online debate on whether we should REWRITE, REGULATE or REFORM the
corporation.

Volunteer to spread the word!

Read about our debate sponsors like Amnesty International USA!

For further info on house parties, feel free to check out our last
newsletter: http://thecorporation.com/index.php?page_id=60

Regards from The Corporation Grassroots team

Please forward this email.

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca