sust-mar: Sat-May 14th - Seeking the Sanctuary - A Walk in Liscombe

From: "Gail Martin" <gail@bay-of-islands.org>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:15:11 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .
For Immediate Release -

Good morning! - Many people are unaware that an estimated 30-50% of Liscombe
Game Sanctuary has been clearcut and that it still continues. Liscombe is a
large wilderness area that is vital to the future of the 20 +/- sanctuaries
in the Sheet Harbour to Sherbrooke areas. Liscombe is our legacy....

We are appreciative that DNR Minister Richard Hurlburt has agreed not to
de-list the Province's game sanctuaries and wildlife management areas and
has also stated that he will consider an anti-logging ban on the
sanctuaries - Liscombe, Chignecto, Blandford, Waverley are the most
vulnerable to clearcutting.

To encourage Minister Hurlburt to make that 'anti-logging' decision before
the new deadline of May 31st, we are staging a walk in Liscombe Sanctuary.
In spite of the short notice, we invite and encourage as many of you to come
out on Saturday and support us in this effort.

Details follow:

"Seeking the Sanctuary - A Walk in Liscombe"
When: Saturday, May 14th at 11:00 am.
(Rain Date: Thursday, May 19th, Same Time, Same Place)

The walk will create awareness of the continued clearcutting in the Liscombe
Game Sanctuary.
We are not opposed to forestry; we are opposed to 'strip-mining' the forest,
particularly in the Liscombe Sanctuary.

Where: Meet at the old DNR West Sanctuary Entrance, Sheet Harbour.

Directions: Highway 7 to Sheet Harbour, cross the 2nd bridge (East River)
and just past that turn left on Hwy #374 (the Stellarton to Sheet Harbour
highway).

The W. Sanctuary Entrance is 16 km from the Highway 7 (Sheet Harbour) & Hwy
374 junction. You'll see a large wooden sign and a log cabin, just before
you cross the East River bridge.

(Sheet Harbour is about 1.5 hours from Dartmouth on Marine Drive, Highway
#7).

Please bring a lunch and plan for about 3 hours, including the walk of about
1 km

Thanks in advance and hope to see you there.

Best,

Gail Martin
Bay of Islands Center
www.bay-of-islands.org
347-2602

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca