sust-mar: Three things: Great resources, great lecture on July 12, and great speeches

From: "Tamara Lorincz" <tlorincz@dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:58:50 -0300

Tip: Your message to SUST-MAR must be html-free.  So, BEFORE you hit SEND, please go to your "Format" pull-down menu and select "Plain text."  In OE, select "Tools/Options/Send/"Plain Text"/Apply/Close." Thanks!

                               .

Three things:
A. Great resources to purchase by July 12
B. Great lecture to attend on July 12
C. Great reading on GPI conference papers

More details below.

(A)

We bulk-ordered some great resources to sell for the GPI Atlantic Conference
in Antigonish and the Marilyn Waring and Ray Anderson events in Halifax.

All our stock that is not sold we are returning for a refund.

However, before returning them, I wanted to give people another chance to
pick up these items up for their personal use, gifts etc... Because you
cannot get these prices by purchasing them individually and they are
inspiring, informative resources to use and share.

ITEMS FOR SALE:

(1) DVD:"The Corporation" DVD Film $30
(Extended version, 8 hours extra footage, Regular price $34.95 plus tax &
shipping, so you save taxes and shipping) http://www.thecorporation.com/

(2)BOOK: The Ecology of Commerce $26.00 (Book by Paul Hawken, regular
$25.95, save taxes) http://www.paulhawken.com/

(3)VHS: "Who's Counting?" Film $20
(Who's Counting? Marilyn Waring on Sex, Lies and Global Economics by Terre
Nash, NFB, regular price $29.95, save taxes and shipping)
http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/whohv.html

(4)DVD: "The Take" Film by Avi Lewis $35 (New film by Avi Lewis, regular
price $38.95, save taxes and shipping)
http://www.nfb.ca/webextension/thetake/

*There is a very limited supply left. Please reply by Tuesday, July 12 if
you would like any of these items. We can accept cash, cheque or credit
card. I can deliver the item to you.

Note: the book by CEO Ray Anderson, "Mid-Course Correction: Toward a
Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model" is available for sale at
Outside the Lines Bookstore 6297 Quinpool Rd. and P'lovers The Environmental
Store 5657 Spring Garden Rd.

Please let me know.

Thanks very much,

Tamara Lorincz
French student
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
(902) 443-2423
tlorincz@dal.ca
CESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.ca/
EAC: http://www.ecologyaction.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
"A better world is possible"

(B)

Captain Paul Watson, world-renowned expert on the state of the oceans,
co-founder of Greenpeace, founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
and Master and Commander of 177 Sea Shepherd Voyages enforcing laws to
protect the earth's marine wildlife and wilderness habitats, will give a
lecture on Tuesday, the 12th of July, in the Dalhousie Student Union
Building Council Chambers, 6136 University Avenue Halifax, Nova Scotia, from
3.30 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, please contact the Animal Rights
Collective of Halifax, archalifax@yahoo.com or 902-494-6662. All Welcome.
Free.

Some of the points that will be covered during the lecture:
* what it meant to be present at the birth of the modern-day environmental
movement
* how the "dolphin safe" tuna label came to be, and how efforts to kill it
were turned back
* how Canada's seals were saved with vegetable dye and why the fight to Save
them had to be restarted
* how direct intervention can make the difference between extinction and
survival of species
* why the oceans are dying
* how a committed individual can change the world

(C)

There are some AWESOME lectures/papers posted on the GPI Conference web
site:
http://www.gpiatlantic.org/conference/papers.htm

*I would highly recommend Ray Anderson's speech "On Responsibility in the
Private Sector" - READ IT - it was so MOVING! Ray gave this speech in
Antigonish for the GPI conference and at a breakfast for political, academic
and business leaders in Halifax.

Did a friend forward this to you?  Join sust-mar yourself!
Just send 'subscribe sust-mar' to mailto:majordomo@chebucto.ca