There are several reasons why a message might be forwarded (bounced) to the list owner for
- Spam filters ocassionally trap a legitimate message. To ensure that legitimate
messages are accepted, the mailing list software forwards all filtered messages to the list
owner for review/approval as appropriate.
- Some mailing lists are configured to accept mail from only subscribers or other
'recognized' addresses. Ocassionally a subscribers will attemp to post a message from
another address (e.g. from work), these messages from an unrecognized address will be
forwarded to the list owner for review/approval.
- Sometimes a list will be configured as 'moderated'. In this case, all messges will be
sent to the list owner for approval.
Before you can approve a message you should configure your
mail program to facilitate the approval process.
Configuring your Mail Program
Assuming that you're using your CCN account to
manage the list...
...if you are using another account with a different mail program you should
check the documentation for your mail program and figure out how
to add a custom header item...
The easiest way to manage a moderated majordomo mailing list is to add an
"Approved: " line to your outgoing mail header.
The CSuite mail program (Pine) allows you to customize the outgoing mail
header... the steps are reviewed below.
Majordomo will read the approve password from the message header and
approve the request. In processing the request, majordomo will remove the
password from the outgoing message.
Adding a Custom Header to Pine
To add an "Approved: " line to your outgoing messages...
- start up Pine [go mail] and use the 'M'ain Menu option to select 's'etup
- scroll down (past the features list) to the "customized-hdrs" option.
The available commands become...
? Help E Exit Config P Prev - PrevPage A Add Value
C [Change Val] N Next Spc NextPage D Delete Val W WhereIs
- Use the 'A'dd option and enter "Approved" (without the quotes). You can
add several custom "header lines" if you wish...
Note: Pine will only include these lines in the outgoing message if
you have entered a value... in this case majordomo is expecting the password.
Approving BOUNCED messages...
When majordomo asks you to approve a message...
- Use the 'f'orward command and send the message BACK TO THE MAILING LIST.
- Move the cursor into the header area and use the ^r (Ctrl-r) command to
expand the list of header items.
- Insert the majordomo list password in the "Approved: " field.
- Remove the 'mini' header that majordomo inserted - ALONG WITH ANY BLANK LINES AT THE
TOP of the message... The following linesshould be removed:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 03:53:07 -0300
Subject: BOUNCE email@example.com: Non-member submission
The original header which begins with a line similar to:
>From firstname.lastname@example.org Sun Apr 9 03:53:07 2000
should be retained. This will ensure the message received by list memebers has the correct
headers including the original senders info. If you remove the original header, it will
appear as if the message came from you rather than the original sender.
- In Pine, use ^x (Ctrl-x) to send the message BACK TO THE LIST".
If you are sending a message to the list yourself, you can place the password
in the header and majordomo will not ask for an approval.