It was agreed that if Linda decides not to join, Marilyn will approach one
of the two identified.
Marilyn reported that the GPI group who had at one time been Chebucto
members were now using another service. It was agreed this did not
demonstrate a serious interest in cooperation. Bernie agreed to raise
this issue with the representatives.
The second motion was accompanied by a round of applause as Andrew
returned to the room.
Ed reported the Committee has now completed the second stage of disk
replacement. They are attempting again to run the new mail distribution
program. However, it was discovered aliases were not working.
The Committee is looking at the possibility of obtaining used servers but
the timing has been bad. Alternatively they have considered building a
server which would mean setting up two servers. There is also the issue
of the three older servers purchased for CSuite use.
The Committee's proposal is to spend approximately $5300 to make the
necessary changes. Bernie raised the issue of the funds being requested
in the Inner City Project for a new secure server being put toward this.
It was moved by Jeff Warnica and seconded by Ed Dyer that funding be made
available to upgrade the existing servers as well as for the purchase of
two new servers with the technical requirements being left up to the
Ed indicated this arrangement could be in place and operational by early
The question about the 56K transition was raised. It was agreed to
implement the motion of the last meeting dealing with the notice to
members. There was general agreement that the letter should state clearly
what one will derive from the transition and what it will cost. There
was also discussion about possible economies of scale. However, this
issue was not clear - it was suggested there might be some reductions in
cost beyond 500 new users. Chris agreed to do a first draft of the letter
and John will vet before sending it to the Board List for final approval.
Jeff distributed a Finance Statement. Following review by members Jeff
pointed out that the surplus for the year would be approximately $10,000
as opposed to the $600 estimated.
There was a question about refunds of dues. It was confirmed that while
there have been a few exceptions CCN does not make a practice of refunding
memberships and this is only done with the approval of the Board.
Andrew reported he is still dealing with virus issues. Chris suggested
that for a recurring cost of $400 we can get a virus scanner to cover
incoming and outgoing situations. However, this would require a dedicated
server. Andrew indicated it is time to revisit the spam issue. Marilyn
agreed to put this on a future agenda.
Marilyn pointed out that the last Visioning Session had been in effect an
External meeting in which all of the Board participated. Marilyn reported
that one of the outcomes will be a presentation she will be making to a
Rotary Club. It had been agreed this session and the materials used could
be a template for other such initiatives. John McKay raised the issue of
advertisine in small newspapers. He also suggested we should be using
Journalism students through Steve Kimber.
Another outcome of the Visioning Session was the plan to meet with Chris
Curtis of Open for Business to discuss the possibilities of using the .biz
domain with the young entrepreneurs who go through his program.
Mark was not present to report.
The meeting adjourned.