Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2008
- Bernie Hart
- Roswell James
- Marilyn MacDonald
- Jim MacLennan
- Bill Matheson
- Kent Murray
- Mary Rigby
- Johnathan Thibodeau
- Joe Thomas
- Alan Turner
- Andrew D. Wright
- Richard Connolly
- Max Russell
Minutes of last meeting
Meeting was called to order at 6:35 pm.
Minutes from the June 2008 meeting were approved as
circulated. Moved by Marilyn, seconded by Joe.
Mary suggested the minutes of this meeting record
that Bernie Hart is serving as Acting Chair of the
Board and Marilyn MacDonald as Vice Chair. Members
Alan presented the financial report for June. The
revenue for June was $8052, while the expenditure
was 7189$. Both the revenue and the expenditure
were larger than than those in May 2008, but
significantly lower than they were a year ago
in June 2007.
The year to date revenue stands at $46983, while
the year to date expenditures are $45323. In
2007 the income for the same six month period
was $52547 and the expenditures were $61659.
Alan pointed out that the low expenditure for
June was largely due to the fact Andrew received
only half salary. He will check with the payroll
agency and make sure the full salary is paid
starting upon the next available pay date.
Alan moved the acceptance of his report,
seconded by Roswell. Carried.
Johnathan gave the technical report.
The material for rewiring Spencer House
is on order from a local supplier in Burnside.
The total cost is expected to be $311.
A lease with Dalhousie Facilities Management will be required for
equipment space on Fenwick Place. There is no
cost associated, but it is a precursor for the things to
come as a lease will be required for any equipment
placed on Gerrard Hall.
The main server was upgraded last week. The upgrade
went well however the next day the system overheated,
but since that problem was rectified all systems have
been functioning smoothly. The upgrade used one of
two computers recently donated from the oceanography
Johnathan compiled a new Domain Name Service (DNS) in
response to a recent security release concerning a
flaw in the previous protocol.
Once permission to go out on the roof is granted the
roof of Bloomfield Centre, Johnathan and Andrew
will review line possible lines of sight to Bloomfield
Centre from both Fenwick Place and Gerrard Hall.
It might be feasible to consider advertising
on the "file not found" page. Andrew will
look into the feasibility of this.
Press Release and publicity for Wifi
Bernie circulated the excellent press release
Marilyn had written for the wifi project. After
several minutes of discussion it was decided
that members would email any suggestions for
changes in the text directly to Marilyn.
No further contact has been made with Global TV
since the initial emails were circulated. Andrew will
try and followup on this.
Bernie noted he had sent Councillor Andrew Younger
an email and hoped that this would lead to contact
with other councillors, specifically Dawn Sloane
and Sue Uteck.
After several minutes of discussion on publicity
it was decided that best way to make people aware
of the wifi service is to do a door to door campaign
in the area. A small information flyer which can
be handed out or left in the postbox is needed.
Mary will contact Joanne Eddy, who designed the
recent poster, to see it she would be interested
in working with the Board again.
Members present agreed that it would be useful
to explore the possibility of having a display table
or giving out information at the Farmers Market.
Meeting with Eastlink
Bernie and Alan will meet with Dan McKeen from
Eastlink on the afternoon of 22 July.
Andrew mentioned that the last meeting of ACORN
was held in the Eastlink offices. He and Johnathan
met several of the sales staff but no development
or research staff were present.
Office Cleanup and Storage
Andrew will arrange to have the shredding agency
take the old records when they are on campus
later this month. The cost for processing the
6 Banker Boxes of files will be $40.
Andrew will follow up on the contact Joe
gave him regarding possible storage in the
Andrew gave a short presentation focused on wifi
to the HRC@P AGM on 24 June. His presentation was
well received, and he ably fielded a number of
At the request of the Acting Chair the Board held an
in-camera session for the purpose of discussing a staff
matter. After a few minutes of discussion the
in-camera session was adjourned. Joe brought a
motion before the Board, seconded by Bill. Carried.
Motion: Be it resolved that as of the pay period of
July 24, 2008 Andrew be paid at the full salary rate.
The next scheduled Board Meeting will be 6:30 pm
Wednesday, August 13. Joe will not be able to attend, his
regrets were noted.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.