Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
November 21st, 2000
- Sharon Parker
- Doug McCann
- Mark Rushton
- Ed Dyer
- Andrew Wright
- Marilyn MacDonald
- Grace Paterson
- Bernie Hart
- Krista Olmstead.
- Call to order.
- Approval of previous meetings minutes.
- Board Liability Insurance
- 2001 - The Year of the Volunteer
- Christmas Party
- New Business
- Committee reports
- Adjournment / Next Meeting
- The meeting was called to order at 6.42 pm
- Minutes approved for previous board meetings: July 18th, July 25,
August 8th, Sept. 19th, Oct 10th, October 30th.
- Board Liability Insurance
- Sharon Parker reported that she had been given two policy options
by the insurance company for board coverage. The first option was for one
year, and the second option was for three years. No obligation to pay for
the remaining years would be held accountable to the board if Chebucto
fails as an organization.
- The board opted to take the three year policy.
- 2001 - The Year of the Volunteers
- There will be a launching for "The Year of the Volunteers" for all
Halifax volunteer groups held at Proving House on December 5th at 4:30 pm.
Following the launch and raising of the flag, will be a reception held at
the Sheraton Hotel at 5:00 pm. All Chebucto volunteers are invited to
- Volunteers are asked to submit their names to Sharon Parker by
November 30th, if they wish to attend
- Christmas Party
- Sharon Parker suggested having the Christmas Party at Coburg Cafe.
There is no alcohol allowed at the cafe so this would ensure that all
Chebucto volunteers will be able to equally participate in the activity.
- Krista Olmstead suggested having a Bowling Night Christmas Party.
The bowling lanes have bars so the legal age volunteers would be able to
have a drink while not excluding the younger volunteers. This would also
be an active event and would be more fun for the participants.
- A discussion ensued regarding who should be invited to the party,
in regards to full membership or just volunteers. The board decided to
invite volunteers only due to the short time frame and complexity of
organizing such a large event.
- The board voted to to have the bowling night party. Krista was
assigned the task to find an appropriate venue and will report the date
and time to the board. Sharon Parker will then send an announcement out
to all volunteers.
- New Business
- The board needs new board members and it was suggested that new
members should be approached.
- Training - PPP training is needed for seniors, and other Chebucto
members. There is currently no training being conducted since Clive
Bagley stopped due to an inferred lack of interest. No efforts have been
made by the board since that time to start another training program. Ken
Burke is reported to be volunteering his time to teach beginner text
training at the Halifax Regional Library, Main Branch. Ken has been
conducting this training for some time but has had no contact with the
board for years. Bernie Hart volunteered to approach Ken to see if he
would be interested in joining the board. Bernie reprted that Chebucto
should be able to get funding for training fairly quickly and easily, (in
about two to three weeks). Bernie volunteered to look into the posibility
and report back at the next board meeting.
- Sharon Parker reported that the Chebucto GIC's will be renewed
this year, and not cashed in.
- Grant Application - The Board of Directors is handling the Grant
Application. The Technical Committee will advise the Board of the Tech
Team's ability/capacity (both technical and human resources) to
fulfill/develop each of the specific proposals within the grant
application. The Board will develop a set of specifications for whatever
contracting-out work it deems necessary in order to fulfill the terms of
- Web Corps - Andrew Wright has proposed the creation of a new
branch within Chebucto, a Web Corps. Chebucto would split web page design
fees with qualified volunteers. A pilot project has been successful and
Chebucto has received $350 as a result. Andrew asked the Board to consider
what services we could provide to Web Corps clients. Bernie Hart expressed
concern over possible Chebucto liability. Andrew agreed that a client
agreement would be drafted and go before the Policy Committee for review.
- Committee Reports:
- Volunteer - No Report.
- External Relations
- The "Computer Project" which has been initiated under the
direction of James Carroll, Andrew Wright, and Bernie Hart has made some
progress. Bernie reported that there may be some funding coming forth for
the project, and will report at the next board meeting.
- The "City Portal" is underway and Bernie Hart reported his hope
that Leo Deveau is still championing Chebucto as the host for this
non-commercial portal. Bernie will make contact with Leo to determine the
status of the project. There will be no linited access on this portal and
the project will be an IP project for Chebucto. Chebucto will be informed
if they will receive funding for the project.
- Communications Committee
- Advertising Banner has not been used effectively recently. The
Election Banner was never implemented. Feedback was requested from the
Technical Committee but no response was received.
- A committee meeting will be called to discuss internal
communications. The Communications Chair proposes calling a meeting with
all committee chairs in regards to internal communications. A proposal to
change internal structure will be submitted before the next board meeting.
- Policy Committee - No Report.
- Technical Committee
- Additional new memory has been installed on the servers, but there
are still performance issues. The extra memory has been helping because
it allows the system to recover from shocks faster.
- The committee is waiting for a new hard drive and will need four
to eight hours "down time" for installation.
- There is currently on going work on the expiries program.
- There are also some additional problems with C-Suite regarding
accounting packages that the committee is working to resolve.
- Work on the IPDB needs to continue.
- Some of the current modems have bugs that are being worked out.
- Some users have complained about slow POP mail downloads. The
committee is determining who is having these slow download times and why
to determine a solution.
- Virtual Domain Names are being considered by the committee for the
near future. The committee is currently designing a "road map" on how to
do this properly. Michael Cormier has volunteered to work on this.
- Last weekend the Chebucto server was down for no clear reason.
The system was rebooted by David Potter but the committee received no
definitive answer as to what caused the system to go down.
- The meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm. Next meeting to be held on
Get your own Chebucto account
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small
Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help
Our Premium Internet Access
Non-Profit Highspeed Access