Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Sharon Parker, chair
- Mark Rushton
- Ed Dyer
- James Carroll
- Andrew Wright
- Marilyn MacDonald
- Grace Paterson
- Call to order
- Appointment of temporary secretary
- Approval of minutes of previous meetings
- Election of new Board member, Technical Committee Chair and Operations
Manager - Ed Dyer
- Election of Chairs of Communications and Membership Committees
- Financial Report, third quarter - general discussion of bank accounts,
sub-accounts and revenue projections.
- Christmas party date and planning
- New business
- Next meeting - Tuesday, November 21, 2000
The meeting was called to order at 6.40 pm
Marilyn MacDonald agreed to serve as temporary secretary.
Approval of the minutes of previous meetings was deferred
The chair announced that Ed Dyer had agreed to let his name be presented
to the meeting for appointment as chair of the technical committee and
operations manager. Moved, Mark Rushton Seconded, James Carroll: That Ed
Dyer be appointed chair, technical committee and operations manager. Motion
- A discussion of current challenges and improvements in the technical area
- A meeting is scheduled for November 1 between Ed Dyer and the executive
and there will be a further meeting with others in the Chebucto
organization. New memory has been ordered for the Halifax and Phoenix
servers. It was noted that Bernie Hart's success in securing a donation will
more than cover this expense and will free up money for other purchases.
- One hard drive, possibly two. is/are to be replaced with newer, faster
equipment. In addition, the capability of a separate, secure server,
especially important for the handling of financial transactions, is being
investigated. The chair of the technical committee confirmed that the
committee is addressing other problems in the technical system.
It was noted that Krista Jera Olmstead had resigned as chair of the
communications committee and that a replacement would be needed. Moved,
James Carroll Seconded, Andrew Wright: That Marilyn MacDonald be appointed
chair of the communications committee. Motion carried.
- Derek Ferguson has resigned from the board and a replacement is needed.
Chris Watt was suggested as a new member. Other suggestions were solicited,
with a view to making the board as diversified and widely representative as
- It was noted that Krista Jera Olmstead has agreed to continue to act as
chair of the membership committee.
- Mark Rushton reported that as a result of other commitments he will
likely need to be temporarily or permanently replaced as chair of the
Financial Statements: Consequent on the discussion of the financial
statements for the period
ending September 30, 2000, several questions were raised with respect to the
methods of reporting both revenues and expenses. Sharon Parker will follow
up with the accountant
Because of time commitments, James Carroll, chair of the finance committee,
noted that he is experiencing some temporary difficulty in organizing fund
raising initiatives. He will discuss the matter with Andrew Wright
- Under discussion of administrative matters, it was noted that suggestions
are encouraged concerning a gift for Susan Lilley who volunteered her time
as facilitator for the September strategic planning retreat.
- Sharon Parker announced that a bid had been received to provide the board
with $ 1 million liability coverage for one year at a cost of $975 Moved,
Marilyn MacDonald Seconded, Andrew Wright: That the board purchase such
insurance. Motion carried.
- Sharon Parker agreed to investigate investment options for the $16,000 in
GIC's held by CCN which mature at the end of December and to bring forward
as an agenda item for the next board meeting.
December 7 was set as the date for the CCN Christmas party.
- Committee reports should be submitted to the board list by e-mail prior
to each board meeting
- The communications committee should consider internal communications as a
priority for discussion.
Date of next meeting: November 21,2000
The meeting adjourned at 7.55 pm.
Get your own Chebucto account
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small
Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help
Our Premium Internet Access
Non-Profit Highspeed Access