Help       |       News       |       Contact Us      

Back To Chebucto Community Net Homepage


Chebucto Community Net

CCN Board Minutes
Home >> Chebucto Board >> Board Minutes >>
October 9, 2001 Board Minutes

Serving Your Community's Online Needs Since 1994.

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
October 9, 2001

Attending:

  • Ed Dyer
  • Bernie Hart
  • Marilyn MacDonald
  • Bill Matheson
  • John McKay
  • Grace Paterson
  • Mark Rushton
  • Jeff Warnica
  • Chris Watt
  • Andrew D. Wright

Minutes of September 18th, 2001 Meeting

Marilyn welcomed Bill Matheson to the Board. The minutes were amended to indicate "Bill Matheson has agreed to serve as a member of the Internal Committee."

It was moved by Andrew Wright and seconded by Ed Dyer that the minutes as amended by approved. Passed

Bernie agreed to send all past approved minutes to Andrew for posting.

Signing Officers

It was moved by Bernie Hart and seconded by Grace Paterson that Jamie Carroll's name be removed as signing officer for CCN and that Ed Dyer, now Vice Chair, replace Jamie as one of the signing officers. Further, that Ed Dyer be requested to meet with officials at the Royal Bank and the Credit Union to effect this change. Passed unanimously.

Marilyn asked Bernie to fax a copy of this minute to Ed to use as evidence of the Boards intention.

Security of Board List

Ed Dyer outlined a method involving an encryption process which he felt would provide the security required.

Since we have had no security problems since the "root password" was changed, it was agreed we will not make any additional changes until it is clear that a security problem exists.

Board Membership

Marilyn pointed out that Viola and Tom's positions are yet to be filled. Bernie reported that Tracey Jones has indicated she would be able to respond by the end of September but had not yet done so. Other names which were identified were Linda Carvery and Joan Jones. John agreed to explore other nominations. Marilyn suggested that anyone who has suggestions indicate these on-line. Mark will include a notice re Board vacancies in the News Letter and invite members to submit resumes. Marilyn will check once more with Linda Carvery.

Revitalization and Renewal

Marilyn spoke about the process we are involved intended to revitalize Chebucto. The to do items arising from the first meeting (Sept 9/01) have been circulated and Bernie will repost them with updates on the progress being made. One of the "to dos" was to convene a second session devoted to our "technical needs". Since it is critical Ed be present for this, Marilyn will contact him first and then the rest of the Board.

Mark agreed to include a section in the News Letter on the revitalization process. He will also deal with the Rebate Program. Mark agreed to have this done by the end of the week.

Inner City Project

Bernie circulated the latest draft version of the report on the Inner City Project. He indicated this version had been sent to the other partners and at this stage GPI Atlantic is doing a joint document. Marilyn, Ed and Bernie will be meeting with the group to discuss the new document.

Word on the Street

The Board expressed thanks to Andrew for all of the work he had done to prepare for and carry out the event. Andrew asked that Johnathan Thibodeau and Chris Wood both deserved credit as well.

The following points were noted:

  • We must begin planning earlier.
  • We need to employ much better marketing skills. (crisp white T-shirts)
  • Andrew's PowerPoint presentation will be useful for other events.

Andrew and Mark agreed to work on a members demo forum around a social activity of some kind. ( e.g. Bob and Lories)

Committee Reports

Technical Committee

Ed had sent his report online. The question about 56K service was raised and Marilyn indicated this would be the subject of the next Visioning Session. The question of the Provincial Server was raised. The problem in assessing the cost to Chebucto of operating this service is knowing just what it is being used for. Bernie agreed to look into the possibility of purchasing surplus equipment which might become available through the demise of Silicon Island.

Finance Committee

Jeff distributed copies of the Financial Report. The Board expressed appreciation for the work Jeff has been doing in improving the reporting process.

External Committee

Marilyn intends to call a meeting in the near future.

Internal Committee

Mark indicated he would be producing a members news letter in the near future. Mark and Bill Matheson will work together on this. Bernie asked if he could participate in developments associated with IP development.

Policy Committee

Andrew reported he had been contacted re a Plus user who is using "file-sharing" software. Andrew has contacted this person and asked him to discontinue this activity.

The meeting adjourned.

 

 


Use Chebucto's
Secure Webmail!

Chebucto Username

Mail Password

Set Spam Filter Preferences


Join Here!
Get your own Chebucto account

Chebucto Services
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small businesses!

Twitter Facebook Google+ YouTube RSS Feed

Secure Online Payment
for Donations/
Membership Renewals

[PayPal]  

[Graphic: Bitcoin symbol] Donate Bitcoins Here!

About Us      Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help

Chebucto Plus
Our Premium Internet Access

Chebucto Wireless
Our Community-Run
Non-Profit Highspeed Access

How to find us!
[Google Maps showing Chebucto Office location]

 

Our Message of the Day

Our Latest News!

CCN RSS Newsfeed

Halifax News and Events

Halifax Region
N.S. Provincial
Community Resources
and Services

The
Chebucto Neighbourhood

More than 200 Groups, Organizations and Businesses hosted by Chebucto
By Alphabet    By Subject

The CCN Beacon
Our Newsletter

Chebucto Photo Gallery


Chebucto Community Net
Our Privacy Policy                Our Web Site Terms of Use Chebucto Community Net RSS News
Feed