Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
September 18, 2001
- Ed Dyer
- Tom Fullerton
- Bernie Hart
- Marilyn MacDonald
- John McKay
- Mark Rushton
- Jeff Warnica
- Chris Watt
- Andrew D. Wright
Minutes of August 28th, 2001 Meeting
It was moved by Ed Dyer and seconded by Andrew Wright that the minutes as
amended be approved. Passed.
Security of the Board List
The Chair asked that this item be referred to the Tech Committee and be
raised again at the Oct 9th Board meeting.
Bernie reported he had spoken with Tracey Jones (North Branch Library) who
indicated she would not be able to let us know about her participation
until the end of the month. However, she indicated if she could not
serve, she would be willing to appoint Shawn Mantley. Based on the
interest indicated by Bill Matheson it was moved by Andrew Wright and
seconded by Bernie Hart that Bill Matheson be asked to serve on the Board
for the remainder of this year. Passed unanimously. Bill agreed to serve
as a member of the Internal Committee.
Marilyn indicated she would approach Linda Carvery to see whether she
would be willing to serve.
The position of Vice Chair has been absent since the resignation of Jamie
Carroll. Following a brief discussion during which Ed Dyer was absent
Chris Watt nominated Ed for the position of Vice Chair. This nomination
was seconded by Bernie Hart. This nomination was endorsed unanimously.
Marilyn asked Bernie to contact Telecommunities Canada to check on Viola's
status as Atlantic Canada's representative.
Johnathan was asked to leave during this discussion. Marilyn spoke about
the need for ongoing assistance in the office. She added that Johnathan
has been playing an extremely important role and she would like to
recommend it be continued until at least the new year. The following
points were raised:
- There is a need in the office for a technically skilled person.
- Johnathan has been paid for two hours per day but has been working
- In the past CCN has been able to rely on volunteers or people paid
from other sources to provide the technical support.
- Johnathan will be able to assist with the secure server project.
It was agreed that Ed, Marilyn and Andrew would work out the detailed
terms of the employment.
It was moved by Ed Dyer, seconded by Mark Rushton that Johnathan be
contracted for two hours per until the beginning of the (second) 2002
University Term in January. Passed unanimously.
Revitalization and Renewal
The To-Do list which had been compiled at a previous special meeting was
circulated. The Chair began the discussion with a review of the capacity
of the Board to make decisions as what is called a "Special Meeting". It
was agreed that as long as proper notice is given including the agenda for
the meeting, decisions made at such meetings are the same as those made
an ordinary Board meetings.
The Membership Credit plan was reviewed. Andrew circulated a description,
which will be used to market the plan. It was moved by Tom Fullerton,
seconded by Ed Dyer that the plan as outlined in Andrews's description be
approved. (Credit of $20. per membership up to the value of one account).
Andrew agreed to get this online as soon as possible for the Board to
review before going public.
It was agreed Marilyn, Andrew and Johnathan will prepare a draft brochure
for marketing the plan.
Marilyn has contacted Jamie who will assist us in making contact with
Senator Kirby. Bernie will contact the Provincial Health Council re a
meeting. Grace will assist with a specific project for WOTS. Bernie will
arrange a meeting with Ann Muecke.
Inner City Update
Bernie gave a brief description of the project. There was discussion of
the demands such a project would place on the Servers.
It was moved by Mark, seconded by Jeff that Marilyn, Ed, Andrew and Bernie
draft a plan and a budget and return to the Board for approval. Passed.
New worms are causing problems. Andrew's computer is in need of
attention, which will require an expenditure of $50. The Account expiry
problem has now been addressed. There is still a need to free up space on
the hard-drive. It was agreed we add more space as soon as possible as
this expenditure is included in the budget.
Nothing to report.
Jeff circulated a summary of the CCN accounts and expenditures. He
indicated there is a working balance of approximately $30,000. A portion
of this will be transferred to a GIC. There was a discussion of the
surplus funds. Jeff indicated at this point we do not have records to
support our ownership of these funds.
Marilyn reported the Committee met on Sept 17th. WOTS was the key topic.
The key topic was connectivity. At this point the Electropolis Studio is
the most likely supplier. The major need for assistance will be for
setting up and tearing down.
Marilyn suggested that Bill Matheson may be willing to serve as a Chair of
Andrew reported on the status of the "Supported Accounts" projects. He
suggested CCN seed 10 Accounts. At this point the only criteria is that
the person be on Social Assistance Benefits. Bernie indicated that Bob
Weber of Community Services might be able to assist with a better
definition of this criterion. Andrew agreed to draft a brochure to market
this scheme to businesses.
There was also the question about supplying used computers with this
program. Bernie will look into the role the Recycling Program could play.
It was agreed not to include this possibility at this point.
The meeting adjourned.