Help       |       News       |       Contact Us      

Back To Chebucto Community Net Homepage


Chebucto Community Net

CCN Board Minutes
Home >> Chebucto Board >> Chebucto Board Minutes >>
September 19, 2000 Board Minutes

Serving Your Community's Online Needs Since 1994.

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
September 19

Agenda:

  1. Call to order
  2. External Relations Committee Report
  3. Approval of the minutes of the previous meeting
  4. Introduction of guests
  5. Word on the Street backgrounder
  6. Communications Committee Report
  7. Changes in organizational structure -- Editor-in-Chief
  8. Bundling PCs with PPP plan update
  9. Grants Application Procedure
  10. Open Space report
  11. Volunteer Committee Report
  12. IP Committee Report
  13. Next meeting - Tuesday, October 10, 2000

Present:

  • Bernie Hart
  • Marilyn MacDonald
  • Doug McCann
  • David Murdoch
  • Sharon Parker
  • Grace Paterson
  • Mark Rushton
  • Viola Winstanley
  • Andrew Wright

Regrets:

  • Krista Olmstead

Guests:

  • Mike Cormier,
  • Jeff Warnica

1) Call to order: 6:30 PM

2) External Affairs Report

  1. CCN has been asked to sponsor a proposal to the Office of Learning Technologies (HRDC). The first part of the project - developing the proposal - has been completed. The board was asked to consider accepting sponsorship of the project over the next 3 years. A copy of the conditional approval was circulated. David Murdoch will distribute copies to all board members.
  2. Key things to consider:
    1. Whether CCN board wants to sponsor the project
    2. Contracting with C-Suite Co-op
  3. The relationship between CCN and the C-Suite Co-op is critical. Feedback was requested. The proposal budget is to be updated at an up-coming meeting of the co-op. Revisions will be online. Questions should be directed to David Murdoch.

3) Approval of previous minutes. Deferred. Minutes not available.

4) Introduction of Guests

5) Word on the Street

  • Jeff gave an up-date of WOS preparations.
    1. Semi-live camera with an 'open mic' idea should attract people into the booth and give them voice - like a Speaker's Corner.
    2. Andrew will have an office computer set up to take applications. Things are well in hand.
    3. Andrew asked for help at the booth from volunteers willing to dress up as "Newsies" and hand out brochures.

6) Communications Committee

  1. In the absence of Communications Committee Chair, Marilyn reported that materials for Word on the Street are in hand.
  2. 100 custom mouse pads for new customers
  3. Flyer has been approved
  4. Jamie has done first news release. Second news release to go out Friday. Suggests planning should start earlier next year.
  5. Mark suggested the official CCN brochure should be used. Marilyn feels it is too big for this purpose. Andrew reported that the brochure has been distributed to libraries.

7) Changes in Organization Structure

  1. Sharon suggests the position of Editor in Chief should be removed from under IP Committee and moved to a separate area with representation on the board. There should be a board liaison person for Mike. A discussion of organization and reporting structures ensued.
  2. Doug McCann moved that the Editor in Chief position is to report directly to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors. Andrew Wright seconded the motion. Motion carried.

8) Bundling PC's with PPP

  1. Project is in fact-finding stage
  2. Meeting next week with Andrew, Bernie, Doug R. to be held in office at 3pm. (Office will be closed).
  3. Project could be money making
  4. Donated computers could be put in homes to help get people online.
  5. Discussion. Mark brought up the issue of legal ramifications if our volunteers are to be in people's homes. Also we need to be clear with people that we do not offer free tech support forever.

9) Grants Application Procedure

  1. Issue came up at Open Space
  2. The board must approve any grants that come in to CCN.
  3. David Murdoch will begin to write procedure.
  4. Policy committee should be involved.
  5. Grace's input would be helpful.

10) Open Space

  1. Report distributed. Will be online (should not be public but password protected)
  2. Susan has suggested to Sharon that an Open Space meeting once a month might be helpful. Discussion of time constraints. Perhaps re-visit before the AGM.
  3. Mark suggested gatherings at the Granite Brewery after board meetings are a worthwhile exchange. Others besides board members should be included.

    11) Volunteer Committee

    1. Mark needs input from board on best use of volunteer resources.
    2. Suggested a "help Wanted" page on the web-site.

    12) IP Committee

    1. A joint meeting of IP Committee, editors and IPE is tentatively scheduled for next Tuesday or Wednesday.
    2. Focus on content and ideas around content
    3. Those interested should come with ideas.

    13) Motion to adjourn 7:40pm.

     


Use Chebucto's
Secure Webmail!

Chebucto Username

Mail Password

Set Spam Filter Preferences


Join Here!
Get your own Chebucto account

Chebucto Services
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small businesses!

Twitter Facebook Google+ YouTube RSS Feed

Secure Online Payment
for Donations/
Membership Renewals

[PayPal]  

[Graphic: Bitcoin symbol] Donate Bitcoins Here!

About Us      Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help

Chebucto Plus
Our Premium Internet Access

Chebucto Wireless
Our Community-Run
Non-Profit Highspeed Access

How to find us!
[Google Maps showing Chebucto Office location]

 

Our Message of the Day

Our Latest News!

CCN RSS Newsfeed

Halifax News and Events

Halifax Region
N.S. Provincial
Community Resources
and Services

The
Chebucto Neighbourhood

More than 200 Groups, Organizations and Businesses hosted by Chebucto
By Alphabet    By Subject

The CCN Beacon
Our Newsletter

Chebucto Photo Gallery


Chebucto Community Net
Our Privacy Policy                Our Web Site Terms of Use Chebucto Community Net RSS News
Feed