Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Call to order
- External Relations Committee Report
- Approval of the minutes of the previous meeting
- Introduction of guests
- Word on the Street backgrounder
- Communications Committee Report
- Changes in organizational structure -- Editor-in-Chief
- Bundling PCs with PPP plan update
- Grants Application Procedure
- Open Space report
- Volunteer Committee Report
- IP Committee Report
- Next meeting - Tuesday, October 10, 2000
- Bernie Hart
- Marilyn MacDonald
- Doug McCann
- David Murdoch
- Sharon Parker
- Grace Paterson
- Mark Rushton
- Viola Winstanley
- Andrew Wright
- Mike Cormier,
- Jeff Warnica
1) Call to order: 6:30 PM
2) External Affairs Report
- CCN has been asked to sponsor a proposal to the Office of Learning
Technologies (HRDC). The first part of the project - developing the
proposal - has been completed. The board was asked to consider accepting
sponsorship of the project over the next 3 years. A copy of the conditional
approval was circulated. David Murdoch will distribute copies to all board
- Key things to consider:
- Whether CCN board wants to sponsor the project
- Contracting with C-Suite Co-op
- The relationship between CCN and the C-Suite Co-op is critical. Feedback
was requested. The proposal budget is to be updated at an up-coming meeting
of the co-op. Revisions will be online. Questions should be directed to
3) Approval of previous minutes. Deferred. Minutes not available.
4) Introduction of Guests
5) Word on the Street
- Jeff gave an up-date of WOS preparations.
- Semi-live camera with an 'open mic' idea should attract people into the
booth and give them voice - like a Speaker's Corner.
- Andrew will have an office computer set up to take applications. Things
are well in hand.
- Andrew asked for help at the booth from volunteers willing to dress up
as "Newsies" and hand out brochures.
6) Communications Committee
- In the absence of Communications Committee Chair, Marilyn reported that
materials for Word on the Street are in hand.
- 100 custom mouse pads for new customers
- Flyer has been approved
- Jamie has done first news release. Second news release to go out Friday.
Suggests planning should start earlier next year.
- Mark suggested the official CCN brochure should be used. Marilyn feels it
is too big for this purpose. Andrew reported that the brochure has been
distributed to libraries.
7) Changes in Organization Structure
- Sharon suggests the position of Editor in Chief should be removed from
under IP Committee and moved to a separate area with representation on the
board. There should be a board liaison person for Mike. A discussion of
organization and reporting structures ensued.
- Doug McCann moved that the Editor in Chief position is to report directly
to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors. Andrew Wright
seconded the motion. Motion carried.
8) Bundling PC's with PPP
- Project is in fact-finding stage
- Meeting next week with Andrew, Bernie, Doug R. to be held in office at
3pm. (Office will be closed).
- Project could be money making
- Donated computers could be put in homes to help get people online.
- Discussion. Mark brought up the issue of legal ramifications if our
volunteers are to be in people's homes. Also we need to be clear with people
that we do not offer free tech support forever.
9) Grants Application Procedure
- Issue came up at Open Space
- The board must approve any grants that come in to CCN.
- David Murdoch will begin to write procedure.
- Policy committee should be involved.
- Grace's input would be helpful.
10) Open Space
- Report distributed. Will be online (should not be public but password
- Susan has suggested to Sharon that an Open Space meeting once a month
might be helpful. Discussion of time constraints. Perhaps re-visit before
- Mark suggested gatherings at the Granite Brewery after board meetings are
a worthwhile exchange. Others besides board members should be included.
11) Volunteer Committee
- Mark needs input from board on best use of volunteer resources.
- Suggested a "help Wanted" page on the web-site.
12) IP Committee
- A joint meeting of IP Committee, editors and IPE is tentatively scheduled
for next Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Focus on content and ideas around content
- Those interested should come with ideas.
13) Motion to adjourn 7:40pm.
Get your own Chebucto account
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small
Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help
Our Premium Internet Access
Non-Profit Highspeed Access