[NatureNS] possible injured gannet / Thirty Years Later

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:49:51 -0300
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 8/26/2010 3:33 PM, bdigout@seaside.ns.ca wrote:
> I received this e-mail from Heather Grant of Lower L'Ardoise...
> Does it sound like this bird is
> injured?  It is sitting on a rock close to shore.
>   I told her I thought it might have hit bottom diving in shallow water.
> Billy Does that sound reasonable?
>
> This lovely gannet was outside our house the other day.  We thought
> perhaps his/her right wing was damaged because she didn't want to move
> - but maybe she was just too full!

* when I found 3 dead Gannets along 3.5km of Northumberland Strait shore
in NB recently, Brain Dazell suggested "lead poisoning" as the probable
cause of death, and, as reported in my comment at
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/2010/08/gannet.html, that
would seem to have been the case. Perhaps the bird resting on shore
received a minor wing wound from a vandal?

I'm sorry to have to introduce ourselves to NatureNS so abruptly, but
the summer has raced past, and our Thirty-Years-Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm - is now
already in NS, camped at the mouth of the Walton River, where the
municipality of East Hants advertises "the highest recorded tides in the
world."

We're planning to be in NS until after the CARCNET meetings on 17-20
September, and will be reporting our observations to the list.
Unfortunately, over the past 40 years we've spent less time in NS than
in any other province, so what we'll be doing here won't be repetitions
of previous observations, but extensions of what we're doing in other
provinces. Part of this will be the distribution of native and invasive
colonies of the Reed Phragmites, to see how widespread the invasives
are, and in the hope of suppressing them before they totally take over
salt marshes as they have in such places as New Jersey, and the
roadsides as they have in Ontario and southern Quebec.

fred schueler.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Longterm ecological monitoring - http://fragileinheritance.org/
            http://www.doingnaturalhistory.com/