[NatureNS] Re: Possible Black Oystercatchers: Debert

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:16:21 -0300

&lt;a href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.symp

--Boundary_(ID_+6nuQb39E/bntT6tDTD9hw)

Greetings, all.

Having listened to these audio files of Black Oystercatcher, I think that the birds most likely to have been heard at Debert Beach are Semipalmated Plovers.  They are very vocal in groups, with descending chortles as heard in these audio files of Oystercatchers.  Not quite such high-pitched squeals as the Oystercatchers make, but close enough to be confusing to people who are not specially familiar with shorebird vocalizations.

Cheers,
Susann Myers