[NatureNS] Pure White Coyote

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:43:09 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_1aYrO/ytZcZrOupTwqcSvA)

There was a pure white coyote reported yesterday near the intersection of Ketch Harbour Road and Sandy Cove Road.  I saw a grey coyote, a large adult, cross Sandy Cove Road near the intersection here two days ago.  Last week there were two young coyotes, perhaps 40lbs each, near to the beach itself.

Also yesterday there was a moose reported at the playground in Ketch Harbour.  There have been reports over the years of moose in the eastern half of the Chebucto Peninsula.  The western half of the Chebucto Peninsula has supported a small population of moose for some time so migration across Peggy's Cove Road, the unofficial dividing line, between the eastern and western halves of the Chebucto Peninsula is certainly possible, or there could be two distinct populations.

On this evening's walk along Sandy Cove Road Laura and I saw a faint sun dog, not a great view through the cloud but still a thrill nonetheless.  At Sandy Cove we spotted a Spotted Sandpiper, still in breeding plumage, and a Black-bellied Plover. The corpse of a gull was visible on the beach with a plume of feathers blowing downwind, likely the work of a Peregrine Falcon.  Falcons don't always kill their prey before, during or after dining so we usually check to see if the victim is actually dead, but unfortunately this one was in the middle of the rotting kelp heap and not readily accessible.

Hans

--Boundary_(ID_1aYrO/ytZcZrOupTwqcSvA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18939">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There was a <STRONG>pure white</STRONG>
<STRONG>coyote</STRONG> reported yesterday near the intersection of Ketch
Harbour Road and Sandy Cove Road.&nbsp; I saw a grey coyote, a large adult,
cross Sandy Cove Road near the intersection here two days ago.&nbsp; Last week
there were two young coyotes, perhaps 40lbs each, near to the beach
itself.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Also yesterday there was a <STRONG>moose</STRONG>
reported at the playground in Ketch Harbour.&nbsp; There have been reports over
the years of moose in&nbsp;the eastern half of the Chebucto Peninsula.&nbsp; The
western half of the Chebucto Peninsula has supported a small population of moose
for some time so migration across Peggy's Cove Road, the unofficial dividing
line, between the eastern and western halves of the Chebucto Peninsula&nbsp;is
certainly possible, or there could be two distinct populations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On this evening's walk along Sandy Cove Road Laura
and I saw a faint <STRONG>sun dog</STRONG>, not a great view through the cloud
but still a thrill nonetheless.&nbsp; At Sandy Cove we spotted a <STRONG>Spotted
Sandpiper</STRONG>,&nbsp;still in breeding plumage, and a <STRONG>Black-bellied
Plover</STRONG>. The corpse of a gull was visible on the beach with a plume of
feathers blowing downwind, likely the work of a Peregrine
Falcon.&nbsp;&nbsp;Falcons don't always kill their prey before, during&nbsp;or
after dining so we usually check to see if the victim is actually dead,&nbsp;but
unfortunately this one was in the middle of the rotting kelp heap and not
readily accessible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1aYrO/ytZcZrOupTwqcSvA)--