[NatureNS] feathers jurisdiction & identification.

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:59:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

color=3D
--0-548367451-1287251974=:70843

Trying to read these regulations is making my brain hurt a little! Raptors are
on the list of birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, but it looks
like possession of them is controlled by the province. There is a program for
natives to obtain eagle feathers through DNR, though I don't know the details.

I do know that crows are protected species. You cannot possess a live crow
without permits and they can be killed only during their open season or to
prevent damage to property. Pigeons, house sparrows and starlings are not
protected.

For anyone who's interested, the Migratory Birds Convention Act and regulations
can be found here, the provincial Wildlife Act here, and the provincial General
Wildlife Regulations here.

Kathleen MacAulay
Milford Station