[NatureNS] Horned Lark Subspecies - Eremophila alpestris hoyti

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:50:03 -0400
From: iamclar@Dal.Ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Paul Murray <murraypaul@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Thanks to Paul for sending around the useful account of Horned Lark
subspecies by Ron Pittiway.

Essentially, the thing to look for is variation in the amount of
yellow on the face:

Yellow is extensive and strongest on face and throat our most common
visitor, alpestris;

The yellow is washed-out and largely restricted to the upper throat in
our formerly breeding form praticola (only one confirmed record - in
the Valley - in the recent Atlas);

The throat and face are white with sometimes a hint of lemon yellow on
the upper throat of hoyti.

There are also differences in streaking on the upper tail coverts and
back tones, which would help in distinguishing the latter two
subspecies,

There are specimens of all three in the NS Mus. Nat. Hist., but it
would be good to have photos of the subspecies other than alpestris.

Cheers, Ian

Ian McLaren