[NatureNS] Field trip report - Sewer Stroll I

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 14:21:29 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_rh5qffY9Dw//BKY8hmedzg)

Indeed, the Sewer Stroll did start out well this morning when Suzanne Borkowski and I met 10 other enthusiasts who apparently either did not listen to or believe the weather forecast.  It was difficult to ascertain whether the sun was up at 8:00 AM as we all gathered at McCormacks Beach, but there was no snow, yet.
Apart from the usual gulls and ducks we were able to pick out a couple of Common Loons, Red-breasted Mergansers and Common Eiders out in the channel to Lawler's Island.  A couple of Iceland Gulls appeared as did a large, medium brown gull with a massive black-tipped bill that could only pass for a first winter Glaucous.  A second Glaucous flew by just as we were leaving.  A couple of stops on our way down to Hartlen Point added White-winger Scoter and both Great and Double-crested Cormorant to our modest list.  A search for the Northern Pintail (present yesterday) in the small duck pond proved fruitless although we did find one American Wigeon (female).  Most noteworthy however was that the snow had begun in earnest!!
Our final stop at Hartlen Point added Black-headed Gull (my first of the winter), Common Goldeneye and a still-lingering Killdeer to the tally.  By this time, we were all well snowed up, optics either caked with snow or fogged up (or both), and so we decided to call it a day - at 9:30 AM!  So endeth the shortest Sewer Stroll of all time, with I expect the shortest list (21 species!).
It was only when Suzanne dropped me off at home that we added Black-capped Chickadee, American Goldfinch, Rock Pigeon and Song Sparrow to the list (I know, they don't count!).
We're hoping for better fortune on February 12 at Sewer Stroll II, jointly hosted with the Halifax Field Naturalists.  We meet at the more presentable hour of 9:00 AM, again at McCormacks Beach.  Hope to see you there!

Bob McDonald
Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_rh5qffY9Dw//BKY8hmedzg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18999">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Indeed, the Sewer Stroll did start out well this morning when
Suzanne Borkowski and I met 10 other enthusiasts who apparently either did not
listen to or believe the weather forecast.&nbsp; It was difficult to ascertain
whether the sun was up at 8:00 AM as we all gathered at McCormacks Beach, but
there was no snow, yet.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Apart from the usual gulls and ducks we were able to pick out
a couple of Common Loons, Red-breasted Mergansers and Common Eiders out in the
channel&nbsp;to Lawler's Island.&nbsp; A couple of Iceland Gulls appeared as did
a large, medium brown gull with a massive black-tipped bill that could only pass
for a first winter Glaucous.&nbsp; A second Glaucous flew by just as we were
leaving.&nbsp; A couple of stops on our way down to Hartlen Point added
White-winger Scoter and both Great and Double-crested Cormorant to our modest
list.&nbsp; A search for the Northern Pintail (present yesterday) in the small
duck pond proved fruitless although we did find one&nbsp;American Wigeon
(female).&nbsp; Most noteworthy however was that&nbsp;the snow had begun in
earnest!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Our final stop at Hartlen Point added Black-headed Gull (my
first of the winter), Common Goldeneye and a still-lingering Killdeer to the
tally.&nbsp; By this time, we were all well snowed up, optics either caked with
snow or fogged up (or both), and so we decided to call it a day - at 9:30
AM!&nbsp; So endeth the shortest Sewer Stroll of all time, with I expect the
shortest list (21 species!).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>It was only when Suzanne dropped me off at home that we added
Black-capped Chickadee, American Goldfinch, Rock Pigeon and Song Sparrow to the
list (I know, they don't count!).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>We're hoping for better fortune&nbsp;on February 12 at Sewer
Stroll II, jointly hosted with the Halifax Field Naturalists.&nbsp; We meet at
the more presentable hour of 9:00 AM, again at McCormacks Beach.&nbsp; Hope to
see you there!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Bob McDonald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Halifax</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_rh5qffY9Dw//BKY8hmedzg)--