[NatureNS] Eastern Cougar

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:26:21 -0400

    style="WORD-SPACING: 0px; FONT: 12px Helvetica; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); TEX
Well,

> It is interesting to see people able to pick out the tiny differences of
> birds and  yet have trouble identifying a cougar when they see one.

Takes time and opportunity to get familiar with those tiny differences, and to
develop the benchmarks to measure them up against.  Even then.... (Lesser
and Greater Yellowlegs anyone?

People familiar with cougars will have no problems with iding them, even in
less ideal conditions and after getting only a brief glimpse. Just like
experienced birders know that that a Yellow billed Cokoo and not a Black
billed just zipped by.....

The number of cougar "experts" in NS is limited, and chances are next to
zero that one will be around should a cat decide to show up.

And as far as eyewitness repots go, talk to someone in law enforcement or
justice how those change as time goes by.  Our mind plays tricks and often
we are sure that we seen what we want to have seen or other people -like
experts- talked us in to having seen.

So we will have to keep waiting for HARD evidence

Ulli