[NatureNS] Hawks 20Mar11, East of Spa Springs, Barred Owl Question

From: Patrick Giffin <p_giffin@hotmail.com>
To: NATURENS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:10:09 -0300

--_6d506b1e-22a5-41f7-95ee-a337cf8cd2ab_

Thanks to Wayne and all for a splendid outing yesterday morning=2C we ran o=
ut of steam about 1130.
After a little R&R we set out again at 1400.
Along hwy 221West=2C or just east of Spa Springs=2C in the hills and valley=
s area=2C we saw 3 Red-tailed=2C and 2 Rough-legged Hawks. The red tails=2C=
 for the most part=2C were simply cruising at low altitude=2C in the bright=
 sunlight it was an outstanding=2C visual=2C treat.
The first Rough-legged=2C on the south side of the road=2C gave us an excep=
tionally long=2C hovering=2C demonstration then descended rapidly to to gro=
und=2C rose again after about a minute with a very visible rodent in its ta=
lons=2C circled about then returned to ground for a snack.
The second Rough-legged=2C on the north side of the road=2C was sighted on =
the ground=2C a short distance from the shoulder=2C it seemed not to mind o=
ur proximity or the passing traffic which caused me to think that it must h=
ave already caught something=2C perhaps resting: plenty of time to set up t=
he scope=3B after about 5 minutes it took off and did some hovering too=2C =
near a hilltop home where there was a very new looking soccer ball lying in=
 the hay field beneath the hawk: it would have made a conversational photo=
=2C 'rough-leg at soccer'. We left it still airborne.
We had a look for the Yellow-headed BB on the way home=2C no luck.
=20
Although we sighted a Barred Owl very near our nest-box on 15Feb=2C it rema=
ins unoccupied. Does anyone know of a Barred Owl=2C nest-box with occupant(=
s) this year? Please reply to p underscore giffin=2C i.e.=2C    p_giffin@ho=
tmail.com We remain optimistic as we have heard a Barred Owl a number of ti=
mes=2C including yesterday=2C it  is very near our box as we can see the cr=
ows mobbing the sound source.  We fear that=2C based on the difficult winte=
r=2C our male has lost its mate.
Barbara and Pat
 		 	   		  =

--_6d506b1e-22a5-41f7-95ee-a337cf8cd2ab_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
<STRONG>Thanks to Wayne and all for a splendid outing yesterday morning=2C =
we ran out of steam about 1130.<BR>After a little R&amp=3BR we set out agai=
n at 1400.<BR>Along hwy 221West=2C or just east of Spa Springs=2C in the hi=
lls and valleys area=2C we saw&nbsp=3B3 Red-tailed=2C and 2 Rough-legged Ha=
wks. The red tails=2C for the most part=2C were simply cruising at low alti=
tude=2C in the bright sunlight it was an outstanding=2C visual=2C&nbsp=3Btr=
eat.<BR>The first Rough-legged=2C on the south side of the road=2C&nbsp=3Bg=
ave us an exceptionally long=2C&nbsp=3Bhovering=2C demonstration then desce=
nded rapidly to to ground=2C rose again after about a minute with a very vi=
sible rodent in its talons=2C circled about then returned&nbsp=3Bto ground =
for a snack.<BR>The second Rough-legged=2C on the north side of the road=2C=
 was&nbsp=3Bsighted&nbsp=3Bon the ground=2C a short distance from the shoul=
der=2C it seemed not to mind our proximity or the passing traffic which cau=
sed me to think&nbsp=3Bthat it must have already caught something=2C perhap=
s resting: plenty of time to set up the scope=3B after about 5 minutes it t=
ook off and did some hovering too=2C near&nbsp=3Ba hilltop home&nbsp=3Bwher=
e there was a very new looking soccer ball lying in the hay field beneath t=
he hawk: it would have made a conversational photo=2C 'rough-leg at soccer'=
. We left it still airborne.<BR>We had a look for the Yellow-headed BB on t=
he way home=2C no luck.<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Although we sighted a&nbsp=3BBarred =
Owl very near our nest-box on 15Feb=2C it remains unoccupied. Does anyone k=
now of a Barred Owl=2C&nbsp=3Bnest-box with occupant(s) this year? Please r=
eply to p underscore&nbsp=3Bgiffin=2C i.e.=2C&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B </STR=
ONG><A href=3D"mailto:p_giffin@hotmail.com"><STRONG>p_giffin@hotmail.com</S=
TRONG></A><STRONG> We remain optimistic as we have heard a Barred Owl a num=
ber of times=2C including yesterday=2C&nbsp=3Bit&nbsp=3B is very near our b=
ox as we can see the crows mobbing the sound source.&nbsp=3B We fear that=
=2C based on the difficult winter=2C our male&nbsp=3Bhas lost its mate.<BR>=
Barbara and Pat<BR></STRONG> 		 	   		  </body>

--_6d506b1e-22a5-41f7-95ee-a337cf8cd2ab_--