[NatureNS] Barn swallows

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:45:09 -0300

Saturday, midmorning, we were driving east on the 103 to Halifax (from White
Point)  to see the "Sue" exhibition before it moves on. (great exhibition by
the way!!) We saw the most birds I have seen in years along the highway.
Robins at the pavement edge, several hawks I couldn't identify, a tree full
of wax wings and many crows, sizes various, and starlings. Oh and Blue Jays.
Of most importance to me were the number of what I am pretty sure were barn
swallows that were skimming a pond on the right . We had passed Bridgewater,
the golfcourse, the place with metal stuff lying around and the pallets
place (the highway goes through an area of wet; brook winding down under
road on left and a good sized pond on the right). Which pond you ask? Well,
it is one that is quite deep, used to have a laundry basket, a shopping cart
and mufflers in and along side of it.
It is on the flat, not the one with the rise immediately past it. Sorry, but
I can't be more specific than that although I could drive someone to it.
When we drove home again mid afternoon I didn't see any birds but the sun
had disappeared and it had gotten quite cold and windy.
Keep you eyes peeled for early hummingbirds. We have had them passing
through this early before!.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens