[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:02:54 -0300

Things are quieting down in some ways here in White Point. From all the
interactions, looks like this year could produce copious amounts of
Grackles. There are  5 nests on the property or very close by and more I
can't find I am sure, and they are making more.
There are Robins still building nests. The Evening gros beaks, the
Rose-breasted gros beaks and that unknown bird have moved on I think as has
the Mockingbird.
We have the usual sparrows; song, white throats, a chipping and an American
with an addition this morning of a White Crowned who is surprisingly not shy
as I move in and out the door so I expect it is used to being here. I see it
looking where we had seed other years but we did away with that station last
year.
There is at least a  pair of Purple finches, possibly a pair of house
finches and an odd female finch that seems to be looking. She is calling
nearly constantly but the other females are chasing her away.  She looks fit
but I am not an expert. Her eyes look clean at any rate. One of the females
has been feeding one of the brightly coloured males who doesn't seem able to
get seed from the feeder.
We have a number of American gold finches who occupy the chickadee feeder
and pull out all the sunflower seeds and drop most. They are cute to watch,
very agile but clowns.

There is a smattering of juncos, chickadees, a blue Jay. The red winged
blackbirds have settled down so I only see them occasionally when a raid by
crows happens.
The sun is out today, finally, and the fog seems to have pulled back nicely.
It was so very cold yesterday, I was mowing in a winter jacket!  but now it
is nice enough to work about in shirt sleeves and if it is hard work, maybe
even a T-shirt. There is a breeze, to keep off the man eating insects. Yard
work day for sure!
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens