[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:13:01 -0300

What a year for grackles. There were over 50 young in the yard about
suppertime yesterday.! I hope not all will be back next spring. It is a baby
factory out there. Amongst the other freshly fledged young are the sparrows,
song I am pretty sure, are 7. The mommas brought them out  Sunday and
yesterday. Sundays went to the cover of the Rhubarb patch and I was working
there setting up the poles for the peas to climb. I was under close
observation for sure. There are several at the grapevine as well and not at
all leery of me as I putter about.

There are several new Northern Flickers. They are showing up several at a
time so don't know if they are fledges or if they are only just now trying
to find mates. All bright, golden but somehow darker than I expected so
maybe young?

We still have 7 or 8 hummingbirds and still are getting along reasonably
well. It isn't unusual to see several on the feeder at the same time. There
is some scrapping now where it was getting quite quiet but other than an
initial scrap, they seem to settle right down.

Early this am, just as it was showing signs of dawn (summer solstice today)
we had a beautiful brown bat in the bedroom. Not sure how it got in but
maybe when Steve came in last night it accompanied him. It is the third in
the past two years. We are all screened. Steve was brought up to dislike
them so I shut him out of the bedroom, closing the bat in with me, removed
the screen on the window (luckily we can do that on some windows) and pulled
the curtain away, and it fairly quickly found its way out. It was
fascinating to see how it worked the room, quite small and full of stuff,
and found that window. It paused, hanging on the window frame for a minute
and I wondered if there was a message there somewhere from someone ,,,,,,,,I
am superstitious.
Oh and there is a robin incubating a nest just outside my bedroom window.
best regards
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens