[NatureNS] Re:Birding in Belleisle Marsh "Snow Goose"

Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:18:42 -0300
From: g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

of&lt;span class=3D"Apple-co
Hi all,

The white goose that is hanging around at the Belleisle Marsh has been
there for about a month, I saw it the last week of April and again
with Harold Forsyth last weekend. On both occasions it was in the same
area of the pond east and closest to the parking area, a pond visible
from a car.

The goose does not appear to me to be a snow goose. The neck is thick
and the feathering on the hind neck is darker than the fore neck,
similar to a greylag. The rump sits very high above the water and when
it was walking it looked far too dumpy to be able to fly very far, if
at all. The bill did not have the "smile" of the snow goose, and there
was no evidence of black in the wing.

Both Harold and I believed this to be a feral domestic goose from the
greylag type.

Would love to have some other opinions, we don't have photos.

George Forsyth