[NatureNS] Bumble Bees in NS

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:29:50 -0300

FlBJlN53REMdkBggBaFkYjOE7P8nFh2zLzhUhTrxJHAEIIZV/yrhTLBNECohA6Afs
--_eafe7d5e-55e0-46d2-ad67-0db65d0836c5_

Hello David=2C
=20
   Thanks for this offer.  Please send me one of your Bombus keys.

Wayne P. Neily
562 Messenger Rd.=2C Tremont=2C
R.R. # 6 Kingston=2C
Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia
B0P 1R0

"Beauty is truth=2C and truth beauty=2C" - John Keats=2C 1820 (Ode on a Gre=
cian Urn).=20

=20

> Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Bumble Bees in NS
> Date: Mon=2C 30 May 2011 20:19:33 -0300> From: David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Bev's photo is a queen _Bombus ternarius_. Once you see the red on the ab=
domen the next feature to look for is the backward pointing arrow of black =
on the thorax. This photo shows it clearly.
>=20
> The other species in Nova Scotia with red on the abdomen is _B. rufocinct=
us_. In this species the dark mark on the thorax is rounded=2C not with a p=
ointed back end.
>=20
> A bee with limited yellow on the abdomen could be _Bombus impatiens_. Thi=
s species is pale yellow and only the first segment of the abdomen is yello=
w. On fresh specimens the black appears velvety because the hairs are dens =
and short.
>=20
> There nine species of bumble bees that are regularly seen in Nova Scotia.=
 In addition there are 4 species of nest parasite bumble bees=2C so about 1=
3 species in total. I have a simple key that includes some photos to assist=
 in identification of NS bumble bees that is available to anyone who would =
like it. There are some tricky identifications (among B. sandersoni=2C perp=
lexus and vagans for example)=2C but most can be done easily.
>=20
> It is not easy to ascertain populations of bumble bees at this time of ye=
ar. There are only queens now. Each queen attempts to start a nest. Queens =
are large compared to the workers that will be around later in the summer. =
The first workers are less than a third the size of the queens. By mid-Augu=
st the workers that emerge are much large=2C almost as large as the queens.=
 A successful nest will have a few hundred workers in mid-August. Therefore=
 seeing one bee now will translate into a few hundred in late July=2C or no=
t if the nest is not successful.
>=20
> _Bombus ternarius_ and _B. impatiens_ are two common species in Nova Scot=
ia now. When I moved to Nova Scotia in 1990 there were no records of _B. im=
patiens_. This is a species that is and was common in southern Ontario and =
southern Quebec. It is also used in greenhouses for pollination. In the ear=
ly 1990s _Bombus terricola_ was common=2C more than 20% of all the bumble b=
ees I saw in Cape Breton. In the past five years I have seen fewer than 10 =
specimens=2C out of many hundreds of bumble bees identified. The message he=
re is that some bumble bees are more common now and others are very rare co=
mpared to what they were less than 20 years ago.
>=20
> Cory Sheffield has produced a very good checklist of the bees of Nova Sco=
tia and would be interested in hearing about which species of bees are in v=
arious places in Nova Scotia.
>=20
> If you are interested in a copy of the simple key for bumblebees=2C pleas=
e send me an email privately=2C I will send it to you.
>=20
> David McCorquodale
> Biology=2C Cape Breton University
> david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca
>=20
>=20
Bumblebees are plentiful this year. In particular=2C I've been seeing a goo=
d number of what I believe to be Bombus ternarius (Tricolored Bumblebees)on=
 the dandelion around here. This is a photo of one taken May 20=2C 2011.
> http://magickcanoe.com/bees/RH-bombus-ternarius.jpg
> There's another larger bee with an almost all black abdomen=2C which I'm =
seeing a lot of as well. Not sure of the ID=2C but maybe B. impatiens.
>=20
> Bev Wigney
> Round Hill=2C NS
>=20
>=20
>=20
 		 	   		  =

--_eafe7d5e-55e0-46d2-ad67-0db65d0836c5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hello David=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Thanks for this offer. &nbsp=3BPlease send me one of your =
<EM>Bombus</EM> keys.<BR><BR><BR>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US><FONT face=3D"Times New Ro=
man"><STRONG><FONT size=3D5></FONT></STRONG></FONT></SPAN></P>
<DIV>Wayne P. Neily</DIV>
<DIV>562 Messenger Rd.=2C Tremont=2C</DIV>
<DIV>R.R. # 6 Kingston=2C</DIV>
<DIV>Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia</DIV>
<DIV>B0P 1R0</DIV>
<DIV><BR>"Beauty is truth=2C and truth beauty=2C" - John Keats=2C 1820 (Ode=
 on a Grecian Urn).&nbsp=3B<BR><BR>&nbsp=3B</DIV>
<BR>
<DIV>
&gt=3B Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Bumble Bees in NS<BR>&gt=3B Date: Mon=2C 30 =
May 2011 20:19:33 -0300&gt=3B From: David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca<BR>&gt=3B To:=
 naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Bev's photo is a queen _Bombu=
s ternarius_. Once you see the red on the abdomen the next feature to look =
for is the backward pointing arrow of black on the thorax. This photo shows=
 it clearly.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B The other species in Nova Scotia with red=
 on the abdomen is _B. rufocinctus_. In this species the dark mark on the t=
horax is rounded=2C not with a pointed back end.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B A bee=
 with limited yellow on the abdomen could be _Bombus impatiens_. This speci=
es is pale yellow and only the first segment of the abdomen is yellow. On f=
resh specimens the black appears velvety because the hairs are dens and sho=
rt.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B There nine species of bumble bees that are regular=
ly seen in Nova Scotia. In addition there are 4 species of nest parasite bu=
mble bees=2C so about 13 species in total. I have a simple key that include=
s some photos to assist in identification of NS bumble bees that is availab=
le to anyone who would like it. There are some tricky identifications (amon=
g B. sandersoni=2C perplexus and vagans for example)=2C but most can be don=
e easily.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B It is not easy to ascertain populations of b=
umble bees at this time of year. There are only queens now. Each queen atte=
mpts to start a nest. Queens are large compared to the workers that will be=
 around later in the summer. The first workers are less than a third the si=
ze of the queens. By mid-August the workers that emerge are much large=2C a=
lmost as large as the queens. A successful nest will have a few hundred wor=
kers in mid-August. Therefore seeing one bee now will translate into a few =
hundred in late July=2C or not if the nest is not successful.<BR>&gt=3B <BR=
>&gt=3B _Bombus ternarius_ and _B. impatiens_ are two common species in Nov=
a Scotia now. When I moved to Nova Scotia in 1990 there were no records of =
_B. impatiens_. This is a species that is and was common in southern Ontari=
o and southern Quebec. It is also used in greenhouses for pollination. In t=
he early 1990s _Bombus terricola_ was common=2C more than 20% of all the bu=
mble bees I saw in Cape Breton. In the past five years I have seen fewer th=
an 10 specimens=2C out of many hundreds of bumble bees identified. The mess=
age here is that some bumble bees are more common now and others are very r=
are compared to what they were less than 20 years ago.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B=
 Cory Sheffield has produced a very good checklist of the bees of Nova Scot=
ia and would be interested in hearing about which species of bees are in va=
rious places in Nova Scotia.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B If you are interested in =
a copy of the simple key for bumblebees=2C please send me an email privatel=
y=2C I will send it to you.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B David McCorquodale<BR>&gt=
=3B Biology=2C Cape Breton University<BR>&gt=3B david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca<B=
R>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt=3B From: n=
aturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca on behalf of bev@magickcanoe.com<BR>&gt=3B Sen=
t: Mon 5/30/2011 11:19 AM<BR>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B S=
ubject: Re: [NatureNS] Bees<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B &gt=3B Whereas my observat=
ions are strickly non scientific - has<BR>&gt=3B &gt=3B anyone noticed a si=
milar trend?<BR>&gt=3B &gt=3B Paul<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B * I just have this =
year and last for comparison=2C but it does seem that Bumblebees are plenti=
ful this year. In particular=2C I've been seeing a good number of what I be=
lieve to be Bombus ternarius (Tricolored Bumblebees)on the dandelion around=
 here. This is a photo of one taken May 20=2C 2011.<BR>&gt=3B http://magick=
canoe.com/bees/RH-bombus-ternarius.jpg<BR>&gt=3B There's another larger bee=
 with an almost all black abdomen=2C which I'm seeing a lot of as well. Not=
 sure of the ID=2C but maybe B. impatiens.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Bev Wigney<=