[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:03:02 -0300

We still have a few new Grackles coming out with parents. Heaven help me in
the winter and next spring. Well over 100 have been fledged here abouts.
There are also more starlings, more Robins and I saw one gathering building
material again yesterday; several lots of Blue jays, several Northern
Flickers and both hairy and downy Woodpeckers. We have baby Hummingbirds
coming to the feeders as of yesterday, all fresh and dewey eyed with short
little beaks and great curiosity.

I had a bird I saw last year. I do not know what it is and I still can't get
a good shot of it. It moved continually even on the feeder. Smaller than a
chickadee, small fine thin beak, small head,  dark eyes, charcoal gray,
darker neck that goes into quite a bit of broken stripping over the chest.
There are light markings on the wing and the long feathers that lay just
outside and under the tail are white but you can hardly see them. At first
glance it looks to be a cross between a junco and sparrow but then the shape
is wrong, size would be too big, much more like a pine siskin but....

Seriously I do try to remember the part names and what to check for in
id-ing birds but I cannot retain it for some reason. I grabbed the book and
tried to check, it was here a good while compared to some times and then
remembered the camera and of course it was gone by the time I got back to
the window. My first thought was a female indigo bunting, I do not know why
but the photos I can find don't look like that. I have searched the id banks
as best I can and I am still at a loss. It may stay a bit, I think it did
last year which makes me think it might be nesting here or have young
about........the way it gathered food and such
I'll watch for it today if I get a chance and I will keep the camera handy.
Oh Night before last I heard owl calling. It was a two toned call and was
repeated a couple times then a silent stretch then tow calls behind my
house. I first thought, someone is calling owls. With the lodge close by I
thought maybe someone was calling them to impress kids. Dad used to do that
with us. It was a few minutes before midnight.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens