[NatureNS] Not so swift?

From: Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:38:34 -0400

Hi Steve,

Hopefully Ken's and Ian's posts answered your questions regarding large numbers of Chimney Swifts at Temperance Street and other sites. I'll put my 2 cents in as well.

> They have been here for some time already in our short summer,  so
> if they paired off earlier and went off to find nest holes to raise
> young, what are they doing roosting nightly 200 strong, 2/3 the way
> through July?

If one were to observe a roost such as Temperance Street or the Robie Tufts Nature Centre every evening between early May and mid-September, we would expect swift numbers to rise and fall in two separate peaks: the first in late May/early June, and the second in late July/early August, with numbers trailing off during the period in-between. Generally speaking, this is indeed what we observe at the roost sites that Swiftwatchers are monitoring, which was the basis for selecting those 6 set dates of Swift Watch ( 3 in the spring, and 3 in the "fall").

However, like Ken says, we have much to learn about Chimney Swift movements and migrations, and it is quite possible that some birds favour one site during the northward migration and another site on their way back south. As well, year-to-year differences in weather patterns would likely influence the timing of those migrations, especially for the aerial insectivores (chimney swifts, flycatchers, swallows, nighthawks, etc), whose insect prey are in turn dictated by temperature and precipitation.

> Who is incubating the eggs or sheltering the young, or
> don't swifts do that?  Or are these all male roosts, leaving the  female
> swifts to do all the work back at the nest?

Chimney Swifts share parenting duties, including nest construction, incubation and feeding young. Eggs hatch after ~20 days, and young stay inside their nest chimney for a further ~30 days, climbing around the on walls and learning to fly within the chimney.

> If instead this means that there are actually 200 or so unmated swifts
> loafing around but not breeding, that sounds like an impending  population
> disaster and cause for concern that the numbers are so  high, not the
> reverse

We think most of the birds that remain at the roosts all summer are non-breeders, which are joined by failed breeders throughout the season. Although swifts are territorial (one chimney will only host one nesting pair), many chimneys serve as nest and roost sites simultaneously, and non-breeders sometimes help out with parental duties including feeding and incubating. Daytime observations at known roost sites could tell us whether those sites are being used as nest sites as well (generally, in good weather only parents will enter the chimney during the daytime).

It is important (and alarming) to note that Quebec -which has conducted Chimney Swift monitoring since 1998- estimates that only 60% of breeding adults in that province actually reproduce, due to the limited number of chimneys now available for nesting. Unless rates of chimney conversion/demolition are different between provinces, it is likely that the situation is similar elsewhere in Canada [see COSEWIC report on Chimney Swifts, available on the Species at Risk Public Registry: http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species/speciesDetails_e.cfm?sid=951 ].

Hope that helps, Steve. Jim Wolford might have some more thoughts to add to this. Thanks for posing those questions!

Ally and Swiftwatchers

Allison Manthorne
Maritimes Swiftwatch Coordinator /Coordonnatrice du projet Maritimes Swiftwatch
Bird Studies Canada /Études d'Oiseaux Canada
PO Box/ C. P. 6227
17 Waterfowl Lane/ 17 ruelle Waterfowl
Sackville, NB (Nouveau-Brunswick)  E4L 1G6
Phone/tel : 506-364-5196
amanthorne@birdscanada.org
marswifts@birdscanada.org