[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:02:06 -0300

Good morning. The fog is in here but pulling back as I write. I was almost
hoping it would stay to help with the blackflies which are the largest I
have ever seen since I lived in Alberta!
Last evening we had such a treat!! About 7:30 we were inundated with
American Goldfinches,  hungry and quarreling.  They were everywhere.
I went to grab the camera and my tea in another room and came back to find
they had all left and been replaced by purple finches. I counted at least 18
of them in the grapevine but there were more in the trees. Male, female and
juvenile. I have never seen as many of each species at one time before.
Lovely. This am I was peering out the window and in the grapevine there are
female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. There is a purple finch there as well and
these female (maybe juveniles are ) are quite big compared to them.
Would love to have had them in the count Sat. Isn't that the way the cookie
crumbles?
 Marg Millard, White Point, Queens