[NatureNS] exotic turtle in downtown Dartmouth

From: Bob Farmer <farmerb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:46:24 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Red-eared sliders are a common pet species, and people sometimes
deliberately release them into nearby wetlands when they don't want to
look after them any more.  I've read a few documents claiming it's
probably too cold for RES to breed in Canada -- but I don't know
whether winter hibernation is a similar problem (i.e., they might not
breed, but they could still hang around for years and years).  I can
think of one expert who's convinced that a resident population of RES
has become established in Cootes Paradish Marsh (Hamilton Harbour, ON)
as a result of frequent releases, perhaps in spite of these breeding
predictions.  Page 2 of this document (
http://www.rbg.ca/Document.Doc?id=54 ) suggests at least 50 are found
there.

I used to see Sliders in Cootes quite a bit; it's no surprise to me
that you might also find one in Dartmouth, especially at this time of
year.

One concern about releasing these captives is spreading diseases to
native Painteds.

There are some good identification pictures here:
http://www.littleresq.net/4.html

--Bob