[NatureNS] slugs and snails

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:44:02 -0300

I find it interesting how a topic I have questions about suddenly turns up
on naturens.
I am getting a higher number of snails than I have ever noticed before and
there seems to be a new (to me) shape to the shell with a goodly number of
the ones I am seeing. I have a usual yellowy one with the rounded shells
that climb the greenhouse walls and I see occasionally on the walk and even
once in awhile on plants but this new one has a much more pointy shell and
likes to climb a lot of the vines including the Honeysuckle as well as my
peas. I noticed back in July one or two when I was planting a newly built
raised bed but nothing that really to an attention getter. I have seen them
as well as a couple varieties of slugs.  I remember someone asking me to
save any slugs/snails I found for them but I cannot remember who wanted
them. I thought maybe my sister who was a bug teck but she says no.
I have seen fewer and smaller slugs than other years despite the moist
summer. These snails I am seeing in groups now.......three or four at a
time, socializing??
Anyway I cannot find where to id them so if I find more and someone is
expecting me to send them along, please remind me.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens